Regarding the use of supervision-scripts as "glue" in distributions, yes, the project was meant for that. Most - but not all of - the scripts are in working order, as I use them at home on my personal server. If you are willing to take the time to remap the names (as needed), the scripts should work out-of-the-box. If you have questions, need help, or get stuck, write to me and I'll do my best to give you answers. Currently, these design problems remain: * account name mappings that correspond to how the names are set up in the installation, * hard coded file pathing, which is inconsistent between distributions, * handling of device names, which are inconsistent between kernels, * handling of "instances", where one service will be "reused" over and over (think multiple web servers of the same type on different ports), * the "versioning problem", which I have (inadequately) described elsewhere on the mailing list. The current design addresses this. My personal life has been very busy, and I needed a break, so there hasn't been much movement. Now that things are slowing, I can turn my attention to it again this summer. I have a plan to revitalize supervision-scripts which addresses all (or most) of the listed design problems. The current plan is: * come up with clear definitions of the problems, * a proposal, detailing solutions step by step, which will become a design document, * peer review of the document for inaccuracies and errors, * close out the existing design and archive it, * announce the old design as version 0.1, for historical interest, * conversion of the existing design's data into new data structures, and * finally, writing the code needed to generate the proper ./run files based on the data provided. The first step is mostly done. The second one is just starting. On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Steve Litt wrote: > On Tue, 3 May 2016 22:41:48 -1000 > Joel Roth wrote: > > > We're not the first people to think about supporting > > alternative init systems. There are collections of the > > init scripts already available. > > > > https://bitbucket.org/avery_payne/supervision-scripts > > https://github.com/tokiclover/supervision > > Those can serve as references and starting points, but I don't think > either one is complete, and in Avery's case, that can mean you don't > know whether a given daemon's run script and environment was complete > or not. In tokiclover's case, that github page implies that the only run > scripts he had were for the gettys, and that's pretty straightforward > (and well known) anyway. > > As I remember, before he had to put it aside for awhile, Avery was > working on new ways of testing whether needed daemons (like the > network) were really functional. That would have been huge. > > Another source of daemon startup scripts his here: > > https://universe2.us/collector/epoch.conf > > SteveT > > Steve Litt > April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century > http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21 >