All our chef scripts were written with ubuntu 10.04 in mind and we had not correctly separated the os dependencies from the application deployment. Then we had to deploy to Centos :) So our chef scripts broke in all sorts of interesting ways. I don't ascribe this to a problem with chef when it could so easily be our scripts being badly written so don't worry about chef. However we need to get runit working on Centos regardless so we have hacked up some scripts to do this. Runit installs fine, or at least without error but things are not working out. For instance there is no /etc/init.d/runsvdir or similar. The truth be told there isn't one on Ubuntu either but some how Ubuntu is managing to start up "runsvdir -P /etc/service" without any problem. So one question would be how to get this to happen on Centos 5.8?