One of our servers has started to have a problem with runit. Even after a reboot we get this: $ sv start ./service/unicorn/ timeout: down: ./service/unicorn/: 1s, normally up, want up This has just started without (as far as we can tell) there being any change to the server. I've even nuked the ./service/* directory so that it will get rebuilt when the application is deployed (via capistrano - this is a Rails app) but that does not seem to help. The other 23 servers which are set up in the same way have no problem so I am at a loss as to where to start looking. Any idea of where I should look for clues?