What do we as a community need to do to get S6 into a "corporate friendly" state? What can I do to help? Here are some ideas: - easier access to the VCS (git, pijul, etc) - Issue tracking system - CI/CD build chain (being careful not to make it too painful to use) - "idiot proof" website - quick start / getting started guide - easier access (better?) Documentation On Thu, 4 Aug 2022, 09:21 Steve Litt, wrote: > On Wed, 2022-08-03 at 17:19 +0000, J.R. Hill wrote: > > There are a few things that need to be in place for a smooth transition. > > > > For general trust in the project... > > > > 1. the init system itself should be maintained by more than a single > human. > > This hasn't been the case with runit. It's so darn simple people *do* > trust it, even > though it was written by one guy and he stepped away. > > > 2. the maintainers should be willing to respond to a large audience. (If > a project > > is used widely across distributions and is critical to operation and > security, > > it'll attract attention from armies of newbies and large cloud > corporations > > alike.) This means there needs to be an ability to move slow (maintain > backwards > > compatibility) and also to move fast (in security situations) > > True. All I can say is runit does one thing and does it well, appears to > have no > known security flaws, has a small attack surface, so there's little call > for > updates. > > > 3. the project should be available from some trusted platform with > versioning and > > source history. > > > > For ease of transition... > > > > 4. many init scripts need to exist, or they need to be trivial to write. > > The originator of runit gives many example scripts, AND they are trivial > to write. > See http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html . > > > > > > I'll give some thoughts on runit: > > > > I'll start by saying that I've used Void linux for a few years now, and > I love > > using runit. It's simple, it works, and it's understandable. That's the > opposite > > of my experience with systemd. I'm not passionately against systemd (or > the > > developers, or RedHat, or even IBM), and I think systemd is technically > impressive > > and ambitious. But also I don't really want to use it or anything like > it. > > > > > It's maintained by the Void Linux project... > > > > Unfortunately I don't think this is true. It's used by Void, but we're > packaging > > it by building from the source tarball like anyone else. > > I guess what I meant was https://github.com/void-linux/runit . That's the > source > code, maintained by the Void Linux project, and it's up to individual > distros to > package it for their distro. > > SteveT >