* unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
@ 2006-08-05  1:31 John Butler
From: John Butler @ 2006-08-05  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I need some help. I've done my best to figure this out on my own, but
my own wits, Google, and the mailing list archives haven't helped yet.

I've followed all the directions on the runit FAQ package for a new
service. My "run" script is the following:

	#!/bin/bash

	lighttpd -D -f /usr/local/sites/snapshot/lighttpd.conf

But when I run:

	sv start lighttpd

I get:

	warning: lighttpd: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist

I'm running CentOS. Here is the uname string (if it's helpful)

Linux xxx.xxx.xxx 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Mar 8 00:27:03 CST 2006
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I've running all of this as root. Executing the run script manually
works fine ( no errors reported ). I tried re-installing runit, but
that didn't help either. Any help or just clues where to look next
would be awesomely appreciated.

Thanks!

-John

* Re: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
@ 2006-08-05  8:22 ` Alex Efros
From: Alex Efros @ 2006-08-05  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 06:31:34PM -0700, John Butler wrote:
> 	warning: lighttpd: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist

Looks like you doesn't run `runsv` for this service. This may happens
because of many reasons, for example you forget to create symlink from
your directory with services (and ./run files) into directory with active
services (which you give as param to `runsvdir` which should be running now):

    ln -s /service/your_service/ /var/service/

(directories in this example may differ from yours).

--
			WBR, Alex.

* Re: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
@ 2006-08-05 16:00   ` John Butler
From: John Butler @ 2006-08-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

Thanks for your quick help. I feel kinda dumb now though. So for
anyone else who does the same thing as me in the future, if you get
the error "unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist", make
sure you are running runsvdir:

	runsvdir /var/service &

Pretty simple. After that everything worked fine. Thanks!

-John

@ 2006-08-05 18:59 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2006-08-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

John Butler <john@likealightbulb.com> wrote:
> My "run" script is the following:
>
> 	#!/bin/bash
>
> 	lighttpd -D -f /usr/local/sites/snapshot/lighttpd.conf

Make that "exec lighttpd ...", otherwise you won't be able to send
signals to the right process.

paul

* Re: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
@ 2006-08-05 19:01     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2006-08-05 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alex Efros, supervision

John Butler <imtall@gmail.com> wrote:
> if you get the error "unable to open supervise/ok: file does not
> exist", make sure you are running runsvdir:
>
> 	runsvdir /var/service &

You shouldn't do that from your interactive shell, though.  You should
add runsvdir to your system startup scripts, as described in the
documentation:
http://smarden.org/runit/useinit.html

paul