From: Charlie Brady <charlieb-supervision@budge.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling for VIA C3?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:17:03 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Gerrit Pape wrote:

> Yes, the runit package's build process (just as the daemontools' one)
> includes some tests to configure system dependencies.  This includes
> three runtime tests where a test program is compiled, linked, and then
> run.  These runtime tests obviously won't work when cross-compiling.
>
> More precisely it's the targets hasshsgr.h:, iopause.h:, and uint64.h:,
> in the Makefile which test setgroups(), poll(), and the size of uint64,
> to select *.h1 or *.h2 respectively.  You can compile and link the test
> programs, and then run them on the target device to check the exit code
> and choose the correct header.

Once you learn (or guess) the correct header files to use, you can fully
script the build process. The only trick is creating the required header
files at the right time. Here is my build script for a cross-compile of
runit (for mipsel linux on i386):

make clean
echo $GCC -O -Wall > conf-cc
echo $GCC -s > conf-ld