* Runit on sl3
@ 2006-05-26  9:56 Nandakumar, R (Raja)
From: Nandakumar, R (Raja) @ 2006-05-26  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like to know if there have been any known problems while using
the runit class of commands on scientific linux. Two of the problems we
see are :

1. runsv does not automatically fork and make itself a background job.
2. runsv and runsvdir occasionally die

It would be wonderful if someone could help me out. If you let me know I
can send you any pertinent information.

Thanks a lot and Best Regards,
Raja.

* Re: Runit on sl3
@ 2006-05-26 20:18 ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2006-05-26 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Nandakumar, R (Raja) wrote:

> I would like to know if there have been any known problems while using
> the runit class of commands on scientific linux. Two of the problems we
> see are :
>
> 1. runsv does not automatically fork and make itself a background job.

Why do you see that as a problem? runsv should only be run by runsvdir,
which will then wait for it to complete.

> 2. runsv and runsvdir occasionally die

Do you know why they do? My guess is that you have had severe memory
overcommitment, and they are being killed by the "Out of Memory" killer of
the linux kernel. They won't have been the only processes killed (but
perhaps they would be the most noticable ones*).

But if there's any other cause of them dying, then I'm
sure Gerrit would be interested to know.

---
Charlie

* runsv will be replaced automatically, but service will be in down state
   if there is a "down" file, whereas it might have been running when the
   runsv died/was killed. Hence, death of runsv might be quite noticeable.

* RE: Runit on sl3
@ 2006-05-26 20:59   ` Nandakumar, R (Raja)
From: Nandakumar, R (Raja) @ 2006-05-26 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, 26 May 2006, Nandakumar, R (Raja) wrote:
>
> > I would like to know if there have been any known problems while
> using
> > the runit class of commands on scientific linux. Two of the problems
> we
> > see are :
> >
> > 1. runsv does not automatically fork and make itself a background
> job.
>
> Why do you see that as a problem? runsv should only be run by
> runsvdir,
> which will then wait for it to complete.

Hi,

Runsvdir also does not become a background process automatically. So, I
tried using runsv directly. I can run it in the background, but the
problem is that now my shell will not exit and I am forced to kill the
shell which is not always a good thing. Would you have any ideas about
how to get around this?

About the problem below, I donot know for sure but I will investigate.

Thanks and Cheers,
Raja.

> > 2. runsv and runsvdir occasionally die
>
> Do you know why they do? My guess is that you have had severe memory
> overcommitment, and they are being killed by the "Out of Memory"
> killer of

* RE: Runit on sl3
@ 2006-05-26 22:43     ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2006-05-26 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Nandakumar, R (Raja) wrote:

> Runsvdir also does not become a background process automatically.

Correct. You either haven't read http://smarden.org/runit/useinit.html or
you have chosen to do things in some way other than what is documented
there. That would be unwise. It's good advice.

---
Charlie

* RE: Runit on sl3
@ 2006-05-26 22:47       ` Nandakumar, R (Raja)
From: Nandakumar, R (Raja) @ 2006-05-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Charlie,

Thanks! Yes, I had managed to miss this website. I will let you know if
I still have problems.

Cheers,
Raja.

* RE: Runit on sl3
@ 2006-05-26 22:59         ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2006-05-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Nandakumar, R (Raja) wrote:

> Thanks! Yes, I had managed to miss this website.

The same documentation is included with the software when you download it.