Chris Brannon: > When I run package/compile from the root of the unpacked source tree, > I get: > >> redo: ERROR: all: Cannot find .do file to use. > You need to make your operating system POSIX-conformant. I make fairly liberal use of some standard utilities in the build process including |pax |, |uname |, |mv |, and |expr | amongst others. A POSIX-conformant operating system is a fairly minimal expectation for a build environment. (It is not as though the build process is requiring, for example, the Bourne Again shell and its non-POSIX extensions for building from source on host operating systems; as some softwares do.) The source package page notes the *non*-standard tools that are needed. This information is pre-encoded in the |package/debian/control| file that I supply for Debian Linux, to be automatically checked by |dpkg-buildpackage|. (There's no equivalent list that I supply for the BSDs; but it is also the case that the BSDs provide nearly all of this stuff, including the non-POSIX |install| tool, out of the box, in base.) If you are building on a different Linux operating system, that is a good hint, with two caveats: Your Linux operating system won't necessarily package things up the same way as Debian or have the same package dependency tree, and Debian mandates a group of tools as standard without their needing to be mentioned in a |package/debian/control| file . Furthermore: Thomas Caravia has already worked out the build requirements for Arch Linux in terms of pre-requisite Arch packages, and the doco for Archnosh is a further source of clues for building on other Linux operating systems.