* runit without getty logon
@ 2006-09-24 10:47 wdef
From: wdef @ 2006-09-24 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to set runit up to not use getty, but instead automatically
switch to another terminal and start X as an ordinary user?

I want to use runit this way on a knoppix-based livecd system, where a login
makes no sense and I don't want the user to have to be therer to manually switch
terminals with ctrl-alt-F5.  I just want it to just boot up into X from go
without user intervention.

I've found I can switch to ordinaryuser and have X start as a service without
the getty and login (run contains eg su -p --command=xinit ordinaryuser), but it
refuses to start with fluxbox icons etc whether I start up using xinit or
startx, as if it's not reading these in HOME. But HOME is explicity set within
run, so this puzzles me.

Also, if you quit X from this, you go to ... nothing!  It's replaced the
terminal.

I'm imagining stty can be used instead of getty to automatically start up a
new terminal in which to run X ...?

* Re: runit without getty logon
@ 2006-09-24 11:17 ` wdef
From: wdef @ 2006-09-24 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

wdef <WDef200 <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Ah, just found this:

http://linuxgazette.net/issue72/chung.html

Explains quite a bit.  I should be starting up a bash shell as the
ordinary user, not X, so that the knoppix ~/.bash_profile gets read
 and X starts by itself?  I'll need to go and try this.

* Re: runit without getty logon
@ 2006-09-24 13:31   ` wdef
From: wdef @ 2006-09-24 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok, this works - starting a service with this in run:

su - ordinaryuser

There is an error message about "no job control" - is this important or not?

(I eventually found where the livecd starts up the ordinaryuser shell and it
does exactly the above in a while loop.)

* Re: runit without getty logon
@ 2006-12-15 10:09     ` Toni Mueller
From: Toni Mueller @ 2006-12-15 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

wdef wrote:
> There is an error message about "no job control" - is this important or not?

I don't think that it is important. Job control means that you can
suspend and re-foreground between different jobs. When you are on your
shell, this typically works with "^Z" for suspend and "fg" or "%n" (n
being the job number) to foreground such a job.