* silent boot with runit
@ 2020-07-13  5:23 Kian Kasad
From: Kian Kasad @ 2020-07-13  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

I was wondering if it is possible to get a silent boot without having to
modify runit itself. With systemd, the `quiet` kernel parameter acheives
this. Is there anything similar for runit to prevent messages being
displayed to the tty?

Also I tried looking in the mailing list archives, but neither site was
up.

Thanks,
Kian Kasad

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: silent boot with runit
@ 2020-07-13 10:40 ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2020-07-13 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supervision

>I was wondering if it is possible to get a silent boot without having to
>modify runit itself. With systemd, the `quiet` kernel parameter acheives
>this. Is there anything similar for runit to prevent messages being
>displayed to the tty?

  No, runit hardcodes stdout and stderr to /dev/console. In order to
silence things, you'd have to:
  - either redirect the console to something nonexistent or quiet on
the kernel command line (would "console=null" work?)
  - or redirect stdout and stderr for the service you want to keep
quiet. For instance, if you want the supervision tree to be quiet,
you could add >/dev/null 2>&1 to the runsvdir invocation in
/etc/runit/2.

(With s6-linux-init, all of init's output is redirected to the default
logger, and you have a switch for whether or not to also display it
on the console.)

>Also I tried looking in the mailing list archives, but neither site was
>up.

  skarnet.org has been up for about 300 days. It is possible, however,
that specific messages that you wanted to access in the archive did not
display correctly.

--
  Laurent