* runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-13  9:28 Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2008-05-13  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Hi, runit version 1.9.0 is available for testing

 http://smarden.org/runit/

The default directory for services is now /service/, and no longer
/var/service/.  To be consistent with the new default location, create a
symbolic link when upgrading
 # ln -s /var/service /

When installing runit on a system that should comply with the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard (FHS), neither /service/ nor /var/service/ should be
chosen, but /etc/service/.  It is recommended to create a compatibility
symlink /service pointing to /etc/service in this case.

This version additionally fixes the runsv program to properly handle
service directories with ./log being a symlink to a directory on a
different device, and slightly updates the sv program and the
documentation.

If you use runit regularly, please contribute[0] to the project.

Thanks, Gerrit.

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-13 10:20 ` Robin Bowes
From: Robin Bowes @ 2008-05-13 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Gerrit Pape wrote:

> When installing runit on a system that should comply with the Filesystem
> Hierarchy Standard (FHS), neither /service/ nor /var/service/ should be
> chosen, but /etc/service/.  It is recommended to create a compatibility
> symlink /service pointing to /etc/service in this case.

Is this for the actual service configurations, or the directory
monitored by runsvdir-start ?

Are you sure this is FHS-compliant? Wouldn't /var/run/service be a
better location?

R.

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-13 10:48   ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2008-05-13 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Robin Bowes <robin-lists <at> robinbowes.com> writes:
> Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > When installing runit on a system that should comply with the Filesystem
> > Hierarchy Standard (FHS), neither /service/ nor /var/service/ should be
> > chosen, but /etc/service/.  It is recommended to create a compatibility
> > symlink /service pointing to /etc/service in this case.
>
> Is this for the actual service configurations, or the directory
> monitored by runsvdir-start ?

The latter.

> Are you sure this is FHS-compliant? Wouldn't /var/run/service be a
> better location?

At Debian, which adheres to the FHS, we agreed that /etc/service/
doesn't conflict with the FHS, so yes.  /var/run/service is not
suitable, because /var/run/ may well be a ramdisk, and its content
is not guaranteed to survive a reboot.

Regards, Gerrit.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#ETCHOSTSPECIFICSYSTEMCONFIGURATION

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-14 23:11     ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2008-05-14 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Tue 13 May 2008 at 10:48:59 AM +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
>Robin Bowes <robin-lists <at> robinbowes.com> writes:
>> Gerrit Pape wrote:
>> > When installing runit on a system that should comply with the Filesystem
>> > Hierarchy Standard (FHS), neither /service/ nor /var/service/ should be
>> > chosen, but /etc/service/.  It is recommended to create a compatibility
>> > symlink /service pointing to /etc/service in this case.
>>
>> Is this for the actual service configurations, or the directory
>> monitored by runsvdir-start ?
>
>The latter.

Why not /etc/service as a default for all systems?

(as I speculate it's related to /etc/opt : Configuration files for /opt)

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-15 17:10       ` Charles Duffy
From: Charles Duffy @ 2008-05-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue 13 May 2008 at 10:48:59 AM +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
>> Robin Bowes <robin-lists <at> robinbowes.com> writes:
>>> Is this for the actual service configurations, or the directory
>>> monitored by runsvdir-start ?
>> The latter.
>
> Why not /etc/service as a default for all systems?
>
> (as I speculate it's related to /etc/opt : Configuration files for /opt)

I've built netbooting/embedded systems where /etc was mounted read-only.
Putting the run, check, supervise and finish scripts there makes sense
-- but it would be nice if the supervise directories could be split out
and stored elsewhere (presumably on tmpfs) in such environments.

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-16  1:25         ` Zachary Kotlarek
From: Zachary Kotlarek @ 2008-05-16  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Duffy; +Cc: supervision

On May 15, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Charles Duffy wrote:

> George Georgalis wrote:
>>> The latter.
>> Why not /etc/service as a default for all systems?
>> (as I speculate it's related to /etc/opt : Configuration files for /
>> opt)
>
> I've built netbooting/embedded systems where /etc was mounted read-
> only. Putting the run, check, supervise and finish scripts there
> makes sense -- but it would be nice if the supervise directories
> could be split out and stored elsewhere (presumably on tmpfs) in
> such environments.

I do that exactly -- /, including /etc, is read-only on most of my
systems. I put scripts in /etc/supervise so they hit the configuration
management, and symlink the supervise directory to /var/tmp/run/
whatever so it can be read/write.

	Zach

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-16 12:55           ` Robin Bowes
From: Robin Bowes @ 2008-05-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Zachary Kotlarek wrote:

>> I've built netbooting/embedded systems where /etc was mounted
>> read-only. Putting the run, check, supervise and finish scripts there
>> makes sense -- but it would be nice if the supervise directories could
>> be split out and stored elsewhere (presumably on tmpfs) in such
>> environments.
>
> I do that exactly -- /, including /etc, is read-only on most of my
> systems. I put scripts in /etc/supervise so they hit the configuration
> management, and symlink the supervise directory to /var/tmp/run/whatever
> so it can be read/write.

That makes sense to me.

What would make more sense is being able to specify that the supervise
directory should be created in some location other than the service
directory, e.g. /var/run/service_name.

R.

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-16 13:37             ` Radek Podgorny
From: Radek Podgorny @ 2008-05-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

* Re: runit-1.9.0 available
@ 2008-05-16 15:07         ` Charles Duffy
From: Charles Duffy @ 2008-05-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Charles Duffy wrote:
> I've built netbooting/embedded systems where /etc was mounted read-only.
> Putting the run, check, supervise and finish scripts there makes sense

s/supervise/control/ on that last line.