* runit (and diet) segfaulting on Debian stable vserver
@ 2006-12-29 17:56 Frank Barknecht
From: Frank Barknecht @ 2006-12-29 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use runit on a Debian stable UML virtual hosting server, which was recently
copied to a new Vserver installation. Now it has a kernel 2.6.18.1-bb2 ... and
runit doesn't start anymore. :(

All runsv*-tools give an immediate segfault, when called. The installed packages
are all plain Debian stable packages. I tried to recompile my own runit package,
but through this I found, that also the "diet" tool called in "compile" will
segfault. Now I'm a bit at loss.

A gdb-backtrace of run* will only give something like:
"Cannot access memory at address 0xbfb63000"

I would be grateful for any hints what might be the cause for this or where to
look for further clues.

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht

* Re: runit (and diet) segfaulting on Debian stable vserver
@ 2006-12-30 14:14 ` Frank Barknecht
From: Frank Barknecht @ 2006-12-30 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

hm, I guess, I've already found the reason in
http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/FAQ.txt

Q: My diet libc programs all segfault in User Mode Linux 2.6!

A: This is a shortcoming of User Mode Linux.
   Edit dietfeatures.h, remove the WANT_SYSENTER #define, and then
   recompile the diet libc and your program.  Oh, and bug the user mode
   linux people about this, it's their fault! ;)

So I guess I'll have to recompile diet and runit. :(

Happy 2007,
--
Frank