* Possible bug in various runit programs
@ 2008-09-12 20:20 David Reiss
From: David Reiss @ 2008-09-12 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

I was trying to run a daemon under runsvdir/runsv using chpst in my run script.
The daemon was unable to start up, and gave this very confusing error:
2008-09-12_11:12:09.67178 chpst: fatal: unable to open current working directory: no error
I tracked it down to these lines in chpst:
  if (! (wdir =open_read(".")))
    fatal("unable to open current working directory");
The problem is that open returns -1 on failure, not 0, which is a valid
file descriptor (I was closing stdin when spawning runsvdir).
Grepping runit for '! (.*open' (no quotes) revealed a lot of places where
this same problem could be happening.

To work around this, I just added </dev/null to the exec line in my run script.

I tried to check to see if this issue was fixed in the latest experimental code
(I am using runit-2.0.0), but I could not find a VCS link on the runit site.
Did I just miss it?

--David

* Re: Possible bug in various runit programs
@ 2008-09-26  8:43 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2008-09-26  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

David Reiss <dreiss <at> facebook.com> writes:
> 2008-09-12_11:12:09.67178 chpst: fatal: unable to open current working
directory: no error
> I tracked it down to these lines in chpst:
>   if (! (wdir =open_read(".")))
>     fatal("unable to open current working directory");
> The problem is that open returns -1 on failure, not 0, which is a valid
> file descriptor (I was closing stdin when spawning runsvdir).
> Grepping runit for '! (.*open' (no quotes) revealed a lot of places where
> this same problem could be happening.

Yes, I confirm the bug, thanks a lot for spotting this error.

Regards, Gerrit.