* runsvdir and shutdown
@ 2006-07-31 15:40 George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2006-07-31 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm narrowing down a problem that I think may be related to
shutdown and improper stopping of runsvdir and services.

Presumably the correct way is to "sv d" all the services and when
each one stops "sv d" the corresponding log process, and finally
kill the runsvdir daemon. Then proceed with regular shutdown tasks.

Is there a prescribed method or someone's handy script for a
runsvdir shutdown?

// George

* Re: runsvdir and shutdown
@ 2006-07-31 21:14 ` Alex Efros
From: Alex Efros @ 2006-07-31 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:40:10AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> Is there a prescribed method or someone's handy script for a
> runsvdir shutdown?

Usual shutdown sequence include 'killall5 -15' command which send TERM to
all processes (including runsv and runsvdir). After this command I've
added 'sv force-stop /var/service/*' and that's enough for correct
shutdown AFAIK.

--
			WBR, Alex.

* Re: runsvdir and shutdown
@ 2006-08-03 19:50   ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2006-08-03 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 12:14:20AM +0300, Alex Efros wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:40:10AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>> Is there a prescribed method or someone's handy script for a
>> runsvdir shutdown?
>
>Usual shutdown sequence include 'killall5 -15' command which send TERM to
>all processes (including runsv and runsvdir). After this command I've
>added 'sv force-stop /var/service/*' and that's enough for correct
>shutdown AFAIK.

okay, sounds good. I put '/usr/local/bin/sv force-stop /var/service/*'
in /etc/rc.shutdown (before rcorder is run) for netbsd -- and learned
'shutdown' is better than 'reboot, poweroff, halt'

BTW - why does 'sv d' send the CONT signal after TERM?

// George

* Re: runsvdir and shutdown
@ 2006-08-03 19:53     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2006-08-03 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"George Georgalis" <george@galis.org> wrote:
> BTW - why does 'sv d' send the CONT signal after TERM?

If a process is stopped from SIGSTOP or SIGTSTP, then SIGTERM will
only be queued.  The process won't exit (or call its signal handler)
until it is continued with SIGCONT.

paul