* Testing runit-init, stuck in stage 2 ???
@ 2004-06-26 19:41 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-06-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm following the instructions in the GNU/Linux section of the
"runit - replacing init" documentation
(http://smarden.org/runit/replaceinit.html) in order to replace
'init' with 'runit-init' on my linux box.

After properly installing runit, I have successfully completed steps 1,
2, and 3, and all testing I did in step 3 has succeeded.

Then, I try to do step 4:

  Step 4: Reboot into runit for testing

  Boot your system with runit for the first time. This does not change
  the default boot behavior of your system, lilo will be told to use
  runit just once:

    a. reboot the system
    b. enter the following on the lilo prompt:
       init=/sbin/runit-init
    c. watch the console output while runit boots up the system
    d. switch to tty5 when stage 2 is reached, a getty should run
       there, you are able to login.

I rebooted, (step "a"), and then in step "b", I performed the equivalent
step in grub, which I use instead of lilo.  Step "c" went fine until I
saw that I was entering runit-init.  It made it into runit's stage 1,
which completed with no problem.  Then, it went into stage 2 (step "d")
and hung at that point.  By "hung", I mean that the boot sequence
stopped cold with nothing more taking place.

I tried to go to tty5, but nothing happened when I issued the
Ctrl-Alt-F5 sequence which normally switches to that tty.

Finally, I had to do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to interrupt this and to cause my
system to reboot.  This seemed to be the only key sequence that caused
anything to happen when I was in this hung state.

Here's the pertinent information:

  % uname -srvo
  Linux 2.4.20-31.9smp #1 SMP Tue Apr 13 17:40:10 EDT 2004 GNU/Linux

  # Contents of /etc/inittab

  id:5:initdefault:

  si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

  l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
  l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
  l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
  l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
  l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
  l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
  l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

  ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

  pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"

  pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
  2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
  3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
  4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
  ## Comment out tty5 so we can test runit-init
  ##5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
  6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

  # Run xdm in runlevel 5
  x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Testing runit-init, stuck in stage 2 ???
@ 2004-06-26 21:10 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-06-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I figured this out.  Based on the contents of my /etc/inittab, I needed
to make my /etc/runit/1 look like the following:

  #!/bin/sh
  # system one time tasks

  PATH=/command:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

  ##/etc/init.d/rcS
  ##/etc/init.d/rmnologin
  /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
  /etc/rc.d/rc 5

  touch /etc/runit/stopit
  chmod 0 /etc/runit/stopit

I had commented out the "rcS" and "rmnologin" calls, but I had forgotten
to add the "rc.sysinit" and "rc 5" calls.

Now, for the arduous task of service migration (Step 5 in the
documentation).

Excelsior ...

@ 2004-06-26 22:29   ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2004-06-26 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> I figured this out.  Based on the contents of my /etc/inittab, I needed
> to make my /etc/runit/1 look like the following:
>   /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
>   /etc/rc.d/rc 5
> I had commented out the "rcS" and "rmnologin" calls, but I had forgotten
> to add the "rc.sysinit" and "rc 5" calls.

You won't want "rc 5" there. That's equivalent to what you should be doing
in /etc/runit/2 (which you tell us you already have set up - at least the
runsvdir part thereof). You are unlikely to need to change (much) the
example /etc/runit/2 script.

---
Charlie

* Re: Testing runit-init, stuck in stage 2 ???
@ 2004-06-26 23:13     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-06-26 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Charlie Brady

Charlie Brady <charlieb-smarden-supervision@budge.apana.org.au> writes:

> You won't want "rc 5" there. That's equivalent to what you should be doing
> in /etc/runit/2 (which you tell us you already have set up - at least the
> runsvdir part thereof). You are unlikely to need to change (much) the
> example /etc/runit/2 script.

Yes, I figured that out about "rc 5".  But for the time being, I'm
keeping it in runit/1, because I have a lot of daemons to put under
runit control, and I don't have time to do the work this weekend.

I plan to deal with them at my leisure, runit-izing each one and then
removing its symlink from /etc/rc5.d, one by one.

I have a handful of key daemons already runit-ized, much to my
happiness.

Thanks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman