Hello again from Gregg C Levine Don't go getting your panties in a twist, Norman, (to quote an old friend.), I did look before completing the posting. And yes it did say that. I have here a personal edition of the C book, (I bought it, because I wanted to have the thing here when I did work in the language, and needed to double check a reference.). I have out a copy of the book that John is kvetching about from my local library. I checked that one, and it strangely enough agrees with what you're saying, and with John too. I find it, ah, logical, that the guys would use a Mergenthaler Linotron 202 typesetter for their print runs. Actually the word is imagesetter. But that term will do. As I recall you worked there for a while, and do know what you're talking about, so I'm not going to indulge myself in a flame war. Besides I've actually done enough typesetting so as to be able to argue the point with the bit brains at Adobe, so I'll even agree with you now. ------------------- Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net ------------------------------------------------------------ "The Force will be with you...Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi "Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi (This company dedicates this E-Mail to General Obi-Wan Kenobi ) (This company dedicates this E-Mail to Master Yoda ) > -----Original Message----- > From: tuhs-bounces at minnie.tuhs.org [mailto:tuhs-bounces at minnie.tuhs.org] On > Behalf Of Norman Wilson > Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 8:03 PM > To: tuhs at tuhs.org > Subject: [TUHS] V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750 > > Look again. The colophon in my copy of The UNIX Programming Environment > (first paperback printing of the first edition) says > This book was typeset in Times Roman and Courier by the > authors, using a Mergenthaler Linotron 202 typesetter driven > by a VAX-11/750 running the 8th Edition of the UNIX operating > system. > > I don't have a copy of the latter-day (now contains ISO) C book, but > if I recall correctly when it was written, it was probably typed in > on a VAX 8550 running the 9th edition system. Probably it was the > latter-day 9th, which had crept along quite a bit beyond the hasty > 9/e manual. After I made some radical changes to the way device > drivers plugged into the kernel, I changed it to print `9Vr2' when > it booted, partly to distinguish the old system from the newer one > and partly to annoy enough people to reach critical energy to produce > a 10/e manual. The tactic took a while but was ultimately successful. > > For those who don't know the historic chain, the systems loosely > called V8, V9, and V10 were never real releases in any sense; they > were just names hung on the continuously-evolving system we ran in > the 1980s in the Computing Science Research Center at Bell Labs. > Brian and Dennis and Rob (and, for six years, I) used that system > for everyday work as well as as a sandbox for systems work; hence > the credit in the books. There were tapes called V8 and V9 issued > to a few specific places under special on-off letter agreement, but > they correspond only approximately to the like-numbered manuals. > > Norman Wilson > Toronto ON > (which feels a lot like New Jersey this evening) > _______________________________________________ > TUHS mailing list > TUHS at minnie.tuhs.org > http://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/tuhs