The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] web site detailing Apple's mc68k UNIX, A/UX
@ 2004-01-01 23:30 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2004-01-01 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.applefritter.com/ui/aux/

Site discusses what it was like to use A/UX, why Apple discontinued it, etc.

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* [TUHS] web site detailing Apple's mc68k UNIX, A/UX
@ 2004-01-02  7:53 ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2004-01-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would be interested to know if there is any chance of getting a hobbyist
A/UX license out of Apple.  It would be even better if one also got source
code, but I also have a hankering for an Aeronautical Pigs Aerobatics Team in
the RNZAF - pigs taken out of pig farms and taught to fly, of course -, and
that is far more likely to happen ... ;)

Wesley Parish

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:30, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> http://www.applefritter.com/ui/aux/
>
> Site discusses what it was like to use A/UX, why Apple discontinued it,
> etc.

Wesley Parish
* * *
Clinersterton beademung - in all of love.  RIP James Blish
* * *
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."

* [TUHS] web site detailing Apple's mc68k UNIX, A/UX
@ 2004-01-02 10:13   ` Wilko Bulte
From: Wilko Bulte @ 2004-01-02 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 08:53:47PM +1300, Wesley Parish wrote:

My suggestion would be to ask Jordan Hubbard (jkh at FreeBSD.org),
maybe he has any idea how feasible this would be

Wilko

> I would be interested to know if there is any chance of getting a hobbyist
> A/UX license out of Apple.  It would be even better if one also got source
> code, but I also have a hankering for an Aeronautical Pigs Aerobatics Team in
> the RNZAF - pigs taken out of pig farms and taught to fly, of course -, and
> that is far more likely to happen ... ;)
>
> Wesley Parish
>
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:30, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > http://www.applefritter.com/ui/aux/
> >
> > Site discusses what it was like to use A/UX, why Apple discontinued it,
> > etc.

> --
> Wesley Parish
> * * *
> Clinersterton beademung - in all of love.  RIP James Blish
> * * *
> Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
> You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
> Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
> I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."

---end of quoted text---

Wilko Bulte			wkb at xs4all.nl

* [TUHS] web site detailing Apple's mc68k UNIX, A/UX
@ 2004-01-02 12:15     ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2004-01-02 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would agree with Wesley -- not feasible at all.

 From the FAQ quoted in the article, "A/UX is based on AT&T Unix System
V.2.2 with numerous extensions from V.3, V.4 (such as streams) and BSD
4.2/4.3 (such as networking, the Fast File System, job control, lpr, NFS
with Yellow Pages, SCCS and sendmail 5.64)."  This is code in dispute in
SCO v. IBM, a.k.a. SCO v. Linux and Open Source.

According to SCO, it is System V.* code that was supposedly stolen and
used in Linux.  I exceptionally doubt you can get that code released as
open source by SCO because that would kill the case.  Additionally, I
doubt you can get free binaries, as someone has to pay the royalties
that Apple would owe SCO for each copy.

Pat

--
Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves. --
Abraham Lincoln

* [TUHS] web site detailing Apple's mc68k UNIX, A/UX
@ 2004-01-02 14:36 ` Roger Willcocks
From: Roger Willcocks @ 2004-01-02 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's another take on the various favours of Apple Unix at

http://www.cfcl.com/~eryk/weblog/archives/000183.html

<quote>
Depending on how you count that is six or seven unices spread over the last
twenty years:

1) Unix for the Lisa
2) Unix for the YACC
3) A/UX
4) AiX
5) MkLinux
6) Rhapsody
7) Mac OS X
</quote>

--
Roger

@ 2004-01-02 17:49 Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2004-01-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I would be interested to know if there is any chance of getting a hobbyist
> A/UX license out of Apple.

A/UX started out as a port of Unisoft SysV. Prior to version 2.0, there was
no Finder interface at all. A real history of the product should be done at
some point, as opposed to the half-baked opinions of someone who has only
seen a very late version of the product.

Since there were per-copy licensing fees to Unisoft, at least for the early
versions, it seems unlikely that a hobbyist license for A/UX would be possible.