The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
@ 2004-04-13  0:01 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2004-04-13  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hello from Gregg C Levine
  Um this fellow, Ken Thompson. According to my copy of the book on the
  C programming language, only Brian Kernighan, and David Ritchie, are
  mentioned. Ken Thompson, is only mentioned as being a partner in the
  creation of UNIX, I think he was a co-author in the book mentioned in
  titles pages, describing the UNIX programming environment.

Ken's name is on a number of interesting papers from the early days of
UNIX, including the original one in CACM, but so far as I can remember
he was never the official author or co-author of a UNIX book.  You may
be thinking of `The UNIX Programming Environment,' by Kernighan and Pike.

I suppose those who don't know both Ken Thompson and Rob Pike might
confuse them, especially since (I think) they both reside in the Bay
Area now.  It may help to know that Rob's nose comes nearer to a
sharp point, and that Ken is a licensed pilot.  They are certainly
different people; I have seen them in the same room many times.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
@ 2004-04-14 18:38 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-04-14 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Bell System Technical Journal, July/August 1978 Vol. 57, No. 6., Part 2.
>
> you can find many of the documents cited in this issue in the
> UNIX Programmer's Manual for the Seventh Edition, Volume 2B,
> which is included, for example, in the package
> http://telexx.mni.fh-giessen.de/PDP11-UNIX/unix-v7-3.tar.gz

The manual can also be gotten online, in postscript and PDF and troff
from http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan.

Arnold

* [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
@ 2004-04-13 12:13 Roger Willcocks
From: Roger Willcocks @ 2004-04-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> Um this fellow, Ken Thompson. According to my copy of the book on the
> C programming language, only Brian Kernighan, and David Ritchie, are
> mentioned. Ken Thompson, is only mentioned as being a partner in the
> creation of UNIX, I think he was a co-author in the book mentioned in
> titles pages, describing the UNIX programming environment.

> And yes, the rest of the article did look okay, around that.

...um... see http://www.bell-labs.com/news/1999/april/28/1.html:

"Ritchie and Thompson Receive National Medal of Technology from President
Clinton"

--
Roger

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
@ 2004-04-13  5:44 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-13  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net>
> To: "'Norman Wilson'" <norman at nose.cs.utoronto.ca>, <tuhs at tuhs.org>
> Subject: RE: [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:19:56 -0400
>
> Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine
> I believe your right. And I am willing to concede the points regarding
> the two gentlemen in question. However, all of the documents I have
> seen within the past ten years regarding the birth, and history of
> UNIX, all have mentioned both Brian Kernighan, and David Ritchie are
> mentioned. Complete with the appropriately selected story as well.
>
> I suspect however, that in that early paper, Ken Thompson is indeed
> mentioned, however the web page in question does not go into enough
> detail, as it should.
>
> And regarding the book, your right. I've got my copy of the C book
> across the room, and normally don't refer to it unless necessary.

You know, Unix is not 100% identical to C.

Before continuing this line of discussion, you really should find a copy of
Bell System Technical Journal, July/August 1978 Vol. 57, No. 6., Part 2
where Ritchie and Thomson describe the design of Unix.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
@ 2004-04-13  5:36 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-13  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net>
> To: "'Kenneth Stailey'" <kstailey at yahoo.com>, <tuhs at tuhs.org>
> Subject: RE: [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:51:11 -0400
>
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> An interesting discourse on the subject of the gentleman's books. I
> haven't found them, as yet. However, I did find one discrepancy in the
> article. I suppose Dennis Ritchie will comment eventually, but, here
> goes, his name, and Brian Kernighan are mentioned on my copy of the
> book on the C programming language. The only time I've seen the other
> fellow's name mentioned was in regards to another book on UNIX.

By "the other fellow" do you mean Ken Thompson?
If so, you are far behind in your knowledge of Unix history.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Just noticed an article on John Lions on Salon.com
@ 2004-04-12 18:38 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2004-04-12 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/11/30/lions/

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html