The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* 32V update (was Re: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...)
@ 2003-10-31 22:37 Robertdkeys
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-10-31 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or, for something really wierd...., how about porting 32V to
the modern VAXen, such as the scsi 3000 or 4000 class
machines?  x86 is nice, and good to do because of its
generic ubiquity, but somehow it ought to roll again on
something, VAX, too.....(:+}}... just for usable posterity.
How much of a chore would it be to port from say an
Ultrix box?  The tool chain should be basically intact.
Mebbie it is time to dust off our old VAX 3000 M38 crates.

There I go thinking out loud...., again.....

Bob Keys

* 32V update (was Re: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...)
@ 2003-10-31 23:53 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-10-31 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine
I don't know, it makes sense. Sort of. There's nothing wrong with
thinking out loud, I do that all the time here.

As for recreating that world, all I can say is why not? There's
technology out there waiting to be used, and talent to provide for it.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

@ 2003-11-05 12:53         ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-11-05 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have my opinions about SCO, and what they're doing.  I don't think
we'll see any problems because this activity is down in the noise.  They
need to challenge Linux at the enterprise level.  It will be quite some
time, if ever, that 32V reaches that level of complexity in order to be
a threat.

For now, it's an exercise in nostalgia.  In 1980, a friend and I
investigated licensing unix for sale on 68K and 8086 based computers.
We couldn't raise the $68,000 source+binary license fee, so the project
died.  That was more than double my salary as an engineer at that time.

Now, 23 years later, I'm going to do a port to see how close my original
estimates are to reality.  After the initial port, who knows?

Pat

@ 2003-11-05 10:23 ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-11-05 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, for a start, I've got most of the src/libc/gen ported - but I'll need to
work on some of the files.  I've been saving the command-line to a file so I
can see just what and where I'm finding problems.

src/libc/sys is *.s files, and I've got no background in VAX assembler or gas,
so I'd rather someone who's experienced takes that on.

Thanks

Wesley Parish

--
Clinesterton Beademung - in all of love.
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"

* 32V update (was Re: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...)
@ 2003-11-05  2:22       ` Greg Lehey
From: Greg Lehey @ 2003-11-05  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-11-04 18:18 macbiesz
From: macbiesz @ 2003-11-04 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-11-04 13:51           ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-11-04 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

For what you're doing, I think you'll want to add -nostdinc, and
-nodefaultlibs to your gcc command line.  The -nostdinc option stops the
compiler from looking at the standard include path files, and the
-nodefaultlibs option causes the compiler to not use any of the gcc
libraries while still using the standard startup file.  You'll have to
supply the paths to the headers and libraries yourself.

In case I'm wrong, and you need to supply your own startup code as well,
change the -nodefaultlibs option to -nostdlib.  That drops all standard
startup code and libraries from the build.  It's the set of options I'm
using in the current kernel build (to be released next week some time).

According to the gcc docs, the compiler may generate calls to memcmp,
memset, and memcpy.  That means they'll be the first calls you'll have
to implement in your libraries.

Pat

@ 2003-11-04  9:56         ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-11-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 2003-11-03 15:34       ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-11-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found]   ` <oprx0h6gtdrveh1e@smtp.borf.com>
@ 2003-11-03 10:48     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-11-03 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-10-31 14:26         ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-10-31 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Silly lawyers :-)  I know I'm good, but building in all the HP-UX
features in a few months?  Not that good (or modest for that matter).

Hm, 32V-x86 huh?  Maybe, but I'd like to make it fairly portable and
have a number of targets built from the same source tree.  I don't know
if that will ever happen, but I don't want to design it out either by
name or file partitioning.  Maybe we can address the project name at a
later date.

I'll keep the VAX port alive throughout the project by making sure I can
cross compile a clean VAX kernel at every milestone.  There may still be
a VAX in the building somewhere.  Even if one was around, I won't be
testing the VAX port thanks to HP legal.  We're now cleaning house of
alpha systems, so a VAX is almost impossible to locate.  Darn mergers
keeps wiping them out, like that asteroid and dinosaurs years ago ;-)

Progress: I'm working on the make file.  I'm trying to get a clean build
by substituting stubs for the VAX code I ripped out.  Once done, I can
concentrate on x86 equivalents.

Device drivers: I have keyboard and character cell VGA code I can use.
I had been planning on adapting the Hale Landis ATA code from
http://www.ata-atapi.com/, and the Thix floppy driver from
http://www.hulubei.net/tudor/thix/ is probably a good piece of code to
model the 32V driver on.

Pat