The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  SCO reveals major UNIX™ IP violations
@ 2003-11-20 21:38 Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-11-20 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

an excerpt:

<< SCO this week said it was "examining" the AT&T settlement to see who might
have leaked the ancient AT&T-derived UNIX� code and put it into a BSD
distribution. Allowing such hallowed innovations to be used under an open
source license, would, we agreed thoroughly devalue SCO's IP assets.

So we set about looking for who could perpetrate such a foul violation. And
deep on a warez site of dubious origins, we unearthed a highly incriminating
statement.

There we found a script kiddie shameless boasting of his crime. The poster
claimed that he'd released -

"... the ancient UNIX releases (V1-7 and 32V) under a "BSD-style" license. I've
attached a PDF of the license letter hereto. Feel free to propogate it as you
see fit"

Propagate? We shivered. The subject line of the email confirmed our worst
fears.

[...]

So after a little digging, we traced this serious UNIX� violation to a hacker
outfit called "Caldera Inc." The email was datelined 23 Jan 2002.

Perhaps using an assumed identity, the hacker signed himself as "Dion L.
Johnson II - Product Manager and one of many open source enthusiasts in Caldera
Intl."

We shall be doing some more digging soon, to see where these hackers can be
traced.

And as dutiful citizens, we shall inform The SCO Group of these violations as
our enquiries continue. As soon as we find out who these Caldera hackers are.
Can you help? >>

complete article:

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* RE: [TUHS]  SCO reveals major UNIXT IP violations
@ 2003-11-20 21:44 ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-11-20 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine
Kenneth, doesn't that mean, that their case can be closed, because
they themselves are the guilty party? Caldera was bought by SCO. Why,
I can't imagine, though. I remember reading that PDF, as it sits on
the website that hosts our list, just to make sure I could use their
products. I'd laugh at their stupidity, but its not worth laughing at.

-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

@ 2003-11-20 22:01   ` Andreas Krennmair
From: Andreas Krennmair @ 2003-11-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net> [03-11-20 22:48]:
> Kenneth, doesn't that mean, that their case can be closed, because
> they themselves are the guilty party? Caldera was bought by SCO. Why,

No, Caldera bought SCO, and then renamed itself to "The SCO Group".

> products. I'd laugh at their stupidity, but its not worth laughing at.

They are definitely not stupid. They exactly know what they're doing.
IMHO they are one of the great masters of FUD, besides Microsoft.

In Europe, SCO was practically shut down. They can't say anything about
the claimed "IP theft"[0] in the Linux source code without getting fined
with EUR 250000 (about US-$ 297500). And they were already fined twice.
I don't understand why people in the US can't do this. In principle, the
laws aren't too different, after all.

Regards,
Andreas Krennmair
[0]: a good friend of mine, a lawyer, told me, that there's a standard
     book about European copyright/author's right, saying that the
     so-called "intellectual property" is nothing more than a "confusion
     of legislation theory" (kludgy translation, I hope you understand
     it), i.e. law experts and lawyers that don't make money out of IP
     lawsuits find the whole IP thing more than ridiculous.
* [TUHS]  SCO reveals major UNIXT IP violations
@ 2003-11-20 23:21   ` Roger Willcocks
From: Roger Willcocks @ 2003-11-20 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keep laughing - the Message-Id of Dion Johnson's email (as archived at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/) is 20020123150337.A12595 at sco.com

--
Roger

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

@ 2003-11-21  0:32 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-11-21  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 20 November 2003 at 19:25:50 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Gregg C Levine:
>
>   Kenneth, doesn't that mean, that their case can be closed, because
>   they themselves are the guilty party? Caldera was bought by SCO.
>
> I thought it was the other way around: Caldera bought the UNIX-OS part
> of SCO, then (around the time the current fracas started) renamed
> themselves The SCO Group.

Yes, that's correct.  The Caldera that gave away ancient UNIX last
year is the SCO that is going to sue the BSDs for using it this year.

Greg
--
Note: The opinions expressed here are my own and have no relationship
with the opinions or official viewpoints of any organization with

* [TUHS] SCO reveals major UNIXT IP violations
@ 2003-11-21  0:25 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2003-11-21  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregg C Levine:

  Kenneth, doesn't that mean, that their case can be closed, because
  they themselves are the guilty party? Caldera was bought by SCO.

I thought it was the other way around: Caldera bought the UNIX-OS part
of SCO, then (around the time the current fracas started) renamed
themselves The SCO Group.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON