I started on ADM-1 (upper case only but they did have cursor addressing) and ASR-33 teletypes. I remember using all the backslash escapes to write my first C program while Mike Muuss looked on in the UGL at Hopkins. Later we got HP terminals with upper and lower case. Hopkins had a KSR37 in the EE department with a greek type box on it even. It was stored in a closet dubbed (obviously) “The KSR Room.” The pennywhistle modem I had lived there. We used to place collect calls to the Pentagon TIP (we’d tell the operator we were calling a computer and if it beeped it accepted the charges). Later they upgraded the printing with a Diablo-ish (daisy wheel) printer. We had such printers over in various other labs I had access to (Psych department, etc.). Hopkins actually had one of the “braindamaged Hazeltines” (leave poor tilde alone) and a few ADM-3’s and for some idiotic reason the department bought a couple of SWTPC implementations of the TVTypewriterII which were just awful. Tektronix donated a bunch of stuff to us so we ended up with both 4014-ish things and some real raster Tek graphics terminals. When I went over to BRL we primarily dealt with some VT52 clones which were preferred because they put the control key next to the A which we liked. Eventually, we got the Teletype 5620 the commercialization of the Blit/jerq DMD terminals. By the time I left most of us had either Suns or SGIs on our desk though. At home I had an ADM-3 followed by one of the VT-52 clones and also a ASR 37 that I got surplus (It had a Rocky Flats property tag on it). When I moved to NJ I ditched them all and just used at terminal emulator on my DOS PC-AT for the longest time. I actually had a 9600 SLIP line and a router to the Ethernet in my house (I used one of the RU subnet numbers). From: TUHS [mailto:tuhs-bounces@minnie.tuhs.org] On Behalf Of Clem Cole Sent: Friday, July 8, 2016 4:49 PM To: Random832 Cc: TUHS main list Subject: Re: [TUHS] Slashes (was: MS-DOS) On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Random832 wrote: What terminals did you use, back in those days? ​ Hard copy (that I remember, but we have proven how poor memory can be):​ * ​ASR/KSR 33s originally, we had one 37 but it was not on a system I used * IBM console's printers Model numbers I've ​forgotten (but with an APL ball) * Later Xerox DaisyWheel printers Model numbers I've ​forgotten * Later DEC Decwritter I and II Glass TTY (not complete but for a quick memory dump) * Lear Siegler ADM3 (lots of them - many people made them as kits) and why we have hjkl as the movement keys in vi - the arrows were embossed on those key tops * PE "Fox" (CMU has a large lot deal and these became the standard there in the late 70s) * Triple Drip "Graphic Wonders" (man I miss these with a dedicated PDP11 and an amazing keyboard --- best game platform I ever knew) * Tektronix 401x series (just about all models of them) but 4014 was used the most * DEC VT52 * Eventually, VT-100, PT-100 and a number of other VT-100 knock offs * Eventually Tek 4025s (until the RT, one of the best keyboards - used in Magnolia BTW) * Heathkit H19 (still have mine that I built) * Eventually Wyse 100's, 99GTs and Wyse 60s -- later being the best Wyse (I still have one) * Ann Arbor Ambassador (my all time favorite - wish I still had one) * Too many different graphics terminals to remember * Numerous other "dumb terminals" who's brand names I have long forgotten. * although for some reason I remember the Kimtron KT-7 being a popular one - memory is they were dirt cheap at the time * Eventually later models of DEC terminals, but the keyboard always sucked and had those strange DEC private connectors on them, so I tried to avoid them. Clem -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: