The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Sad but not unexpected news about the LCM-L
@ 2024-06-25 18:45 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2024-06-25 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    >  <clemc@ccc.com>

    > In particular, I hope the PDP-7s and the CDC-6500 find new homes.

Also, their collection of PDP-10's, which is absolutely unrivalled; they
had a KA10 and a KI10; also the MIT-MC KL10.

Also a Multics front panel; AFAIK, the ony one in the world other than the
CHM's. Any idea where it's all being sold? I might enquire about the Multics
panel.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Re: Sad but not unexpected news about the LCM-L
@ 2024-06-27 15:19 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2024-06-27 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Aron <aki@insinga.com>

    > Now if only his family would take those wishes of his into account and
    > tell the lawyers to finish the job.

I suspect that was his real mistake; he trusted that his family would do what
he wanted (perhaps so that instead of putting the final bow on this, he could
pay attention to something else that was more important to him) after he was
gone - and they decided not to.

My suspicion is that there is something else that is more important to his
sister (probably political), and she decided that the pittance she'd get from
flushing the LCM would be better put towards her project(s).

I've just been re-reading Thucydides' extraordinarily outstanding meditation
on the revolution on Corcyra (which is really a meditation on the death of
the Greek polei - and is a pre-epitaph on the death of many democracies
since), and if my pupposition is correct, it applies to this too

I wonder what'll happen to all the less-valuable stuff that was given to the
LCM? A PDP-10 will fetch 10K's of $, but a lot of the rest is worth pennies.
I hope they don't scrap it for pennies, or throw it in the trash. I'm sure
that someone who would ignore her brother's wishes about important pieces
of history that meant a lot to him would have no qualms about doing either.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Sad but not unexpected news about the LCM-L
@ 2024-06-25 18:17 Clem Cole
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Clem Cole @ 2024-06-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, simh