The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] ancient unix filesystems
@ 2002-05-05 15:52 Sven Dehmlow
From: Sven Dehmlow @ 2002-05-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm currently working on an implementation of the Unix 6th Edition's
filesystem for Linux. I think earlier Unix filesystems should be very
similar to it. I would like to implement them, too, but I don't have
exact descriptions of them (for the 6th Edition I've the Lions Book;
there is not much about the actual filesystem architecture in it, but
it should be enough - together with the code ;-).

Please send me descriptions, specifications and everything else
you've about the early Unix filesystems. Also filesystem images are
very welcome as I can use them to test my implementation.
My e-mail account can only handle attachments <3000KB. Please
compress or split the files if they are bigger than 3000KB.

Thank you
Sven

* [TUHS] ancient unix filesystems
@ 2002-05-06  1:00 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-05-06  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Sven Dehmlow:
> Hi,
> I'm currently working on an implementation of the Unix 6th Edition's
> filesystem for Linux. I think earlier Unix filesystems should be very
> similar to it. I would like to implement them, too, but I don't have
> exact descriptions of them (for the 6th Edition I've the Lions Book;
> there is not much about the actual filesystem architecture in it, but
> it should be enough - together with the code ;-).
>
> Please send me descriptions, specifications and everything else
> you've about the early Unix filesystems. Also filesystem images are
> very welcome as I can use them to test my implementation.
> My e-mail account can only handle attachments <3000KB. Please
> compress or split the files if they are bigger than 3000KB.
>
> Thank you
> Sven

Sven, you might want to look at this:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/pups.cgi?article=2170

  From: Stuart Norris <norris at euler.mech.eng.usyd.edu.au>

 I have hacked together a version of a Unix 5th (and 6th)
 Edition filesystem for Linux. It is read only, and was written for
 Linux 2.0 on an x86 and so will require a little work to install on
 other systems and newer kernels, but it is fun to be able to mount
 old disk images.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] ancient unix filesystems
@ 2002-05-06  0:07 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2002-05-06  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>exact descriptions of them (for the 6th Edition I've the Lions Book;
>there is not much about the actual filesystem architecture in it, but
>it should be enough - together with the code ;-).

You might want to run V6 or V5 on a simulator. For one you can "see"
the filesystem and you can read the man pages, especially fs(5).

Wolfgang