The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] rtm
@ 2002-10-14 19:15 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2002-10-14 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Sharp <jss at subatomix.com> wrote:

> Yes, I believe I am somewhat younger than most the very respectable members
> of this group. :-)

I'm about the same. My timeline:

1979 born
1988 first computer: Soviet PDP-11 clone, first language: PDP-11 assembly
1995 first introduced to UNIX
1996 first live encounter with a VAX
1998 started maintaining my own version of VAX UNIX
2000 fully converted to it
2002 thinking about designing and building a new VAX CPU on an FPGA

MS

* [TUHS] rtm
@ 2002-10-12  1:33 A.P.Garcia
From: A.P.Garcia @ 2002-10-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just recently picked up a copy of a book that's been out for some
time, _Cyberpunk_ by Katie Hafner and John Markoff.  The last chapter
is about Robert T. Morris, Jr. and the worm incident (which in itself,
I think, is an important event in Unix history).

The book contains some interesting details, including some Unix folklore
that I haven't seen anywhere else.  For instance, RTM Sr. had a terminal
at home, as did other members of the CSR group at Bell Labs.  So a number
of their kids had accounts!  RTM Sr. comes off as a very likeable fellow,
btw.

At the Atlanta Linux Showcase in 1999, Norm Schryer gave a keynote speech,
in which he told an amusing anecdote about Morris Sr. (I may be slightly
off on some details; such is oral history):

Morris, he said, was the kind of guy who always liked to tinker with
things, and if an object had buttons, Morris just had to push them.
In fact, sometimes Morris was just a little too quick with his fingers.
On one side of a machine room was the light switch, and on the other
side was the power to the machine.

On at least one occasion, you guessed it -- Morris hit the wrong switch.
Some people hung a disk pack that got ruined around his neck, and someone
put up a big sign as a reminder: "THIS IS THE WEST WALL!"

:-)