The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Move completed: slowly bringing stuff back up
@ 2017-09-11  1:48 Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-09-11  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Evening,

Okay - now that I've completed moving and settling in, I am slowly
bringing some stuff back up.  UCBVAX should come back in the next few
weeks (now much closer to Berkeley...).

One advantage of the new location: cheaper power so my PBX runs all the
time now. ;)

Once I acquire a second modem I will accept UUCP at 115200 and 2400 baud
via telephone :)

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] Move completed: slowly bringing stuff back up
@ 2017-09-11  2:29 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-09-11  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, Cory Smelosky wrote:

> Okay - now that I've completed moving and settling in, I am slowly
> bringing some stuff back up.  UCBVAX should come back in the next few
> weeks (now much closer to Berkeley...).

For some reason, I'm thinking of MOSCVAX, KREMVAX, KGBVAX...

* [TUHS] Move completed: slowly bringing stuff back up
@ 2017-09-11  4:15   ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2017-09-11  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

See that, people.. Now they're associating Berkeley with fascism.
;)

@ 2017-09-11  5:13 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2017-09-11  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-09-10 18:48, Cory Smelosky wrote:

> Okay - now that I've completed moving and settling in, I am slowly
> bringing some stuff back up.  UCBVAX should come back in the next few
> weeks (now much closer to Berkeley...).

Is that actual DEC VAX hardware, or an emulator?

Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.

* [TUHS] Move completed: slowly bringing stuff back up
@ 2017-09-11  6:00     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2017-09-11  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 10 September 2017 at 21:15:38 -0700, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 2017, at 19:29, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, Cory Smelosky wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay - now that I've completed moving and settling in, I am slowly
>>> bringing some stuff back up.  UCBVAX should come back in the next
>>> few weeks (now much closer to Berkeley...).
>>
>> For some reason, I'm thinking of MOSCVAX, KREMVAX, KGBVAX...
>
> See that, people.. Now they're associating Berkeley with fascism.

Not only UCB, but the USSR too!  Stalin would have been horrified.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
* [TUHS] Move completed: slowly bringing stuff back up
@ 2017-09-11  6:43   ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-09-11  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

UCBVAX is simulated, DECWRL is real hardware I need to find again.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-09-11  6:58     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2017-09-11  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, Jacob Ritorto wrote:

> See that, people.. Now they're associating Berkeley with fascism. ;)

How did the saying go, about Berkeley producing both BSD and LSD, and not
thought to be a coincidence?

* [TUHS] Move completed: slowly bringing stuff back up
@ 2017-09-11 12:31       ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-09-11 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
 |On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
 |> See that, people.. Now they're associating Berkeley with fascism. ;)
 |
 |How did the saying go, about Berkeley producing both BSD and LSD, and not
 |thought to be a coincidence?

No, LSD came from Hofmann, Albert, of Switzerland, found by
experimenting on himself.  (This is i think worth noting for
multiple reasons, first of all because of the fact itself, in line
with good old tradition of sciencists, as far as i know, then
because this was in 1943, and i also had to read a horrifying
vivisection story (with non-human life forms) not to long ago,
where people got space in an english scifientic magazine for
i think it was either about acid or fire injuries, and i do know
now that mice start intense licking when their skin faces acid (or
fire), mind you, i know free (wood) mice which are brave and rush
onto your shoes, free rats which open tunnels only to allow you to
have a look at newborns with eyes closed, and squirrels which just
say hello, if you once in a while spend some nuts and sunflower
seeds.  It will surely help improving something, though.)

But Ecstasy (MDA/MDMA) and such where developed by Alexander
Shulgin of California.

--steffen