One of my co-workers, Serge Vakulenko,  just gave me a small gift -- a 1 x 2 inch computer chip that runs a version of BSD Unix, complete with compilers and editors.  It's powered by the USB port and you connect with it at 115200 baud (10,000 x faster than a model 33 TTY!).  It has a surprisingly big file system and 128K of RAM, half of which is given to the system.  There are lots of BSD games, including a game of Go Fish that I wrote for my son over 50 years ago.   It was interesting to me to look at that early C code.  I was surprised at the nonzero number of gotos (5). The source is on https://github.com/RetroBSD/retrobsd/blob/master/src/games/fish.c if you are interested... For extra credit, see if you can find the bug that Serge found in this 50-year-old code, and figure out how the program seems to work OK anyway  (Hint: type mismatch).  There clearly was a good reason to invent Lint and declarations and header files... Steve PS: if you'd like a look at the chip, google PIC32-RETROBSD.  The CPU is a MIPS microcontroller. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry McVoy" To:"Richard Salz" Cc:"The Eunuchs Hysterical Society" Sent:Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:54:18 -0700 Subject:Re: [TUHS] PWB vs Unix/TS On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 02:18:08PM -0400, Richard Salz wrote: > > > > It would have been > > much better if Sun had licensed their source base to AT&T and then > > AT&T could have leveraged the industry standard. > > > Interesting to speculate if that would have sped up the creation of OSF or > delayed/prevented it. I think the former. You're probably right but it wouldn't have mattered. SunOS was very popular and had a good VM system with a working mmap. Once it became official AT&T source everyone would have moved to it over time. Sort of obvious in retrospect. Nobody, that I know of, considered it at the time. I proposed open sourcing it.