The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: pnr@planet.nl (Paul Ruizendaal)
Subject: [TUHS] pdp-11 assembly as a hll?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:41:25 +0100	[thread overview]

>> I was wondering what it would take to convert the v6/v7 basic program
>> into something that can be run today.
>
> Hmmm...  If it were C-generated then it would be (somewhat) easy, but it's
> hand-written and hand-optimised...  You'd have to do some functional
> analysis on it e.g. what does this routine do, etc.
>
>> Its 2128 lines. It doesn't have that fun instruction in it :)
>
> I know!  Say ~2,000 lines, say ~100 people on this list, distributed
> computing to the rescue!  That's only 20 lines each, so it ought to be a
> piece of cake :-)

I'm up for that! However, only if the resulting C program can be compiled/run
on a V6/PDP11 again.

Let's assume that reverse engineering a subroutine of 20 lines takes
an hour. That then makes for 100 hours. If 10 people participate and
contribute one hour/routine per week, it will be done by May.

However, the initial analysis of the code architecture is a (time) hurdle.

Paul

PS: the Fortran66 of V6 is also assembler only...