The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org>
To: Jonathan Gray <jsg@jsg.id.au>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Early supported UNIX manual
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:58:06 +0000	[thread overview]

Your reference to sema(2) in CB-UNIX prompted me to go check the source and curiously, that isn't in sysent.c:  https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/USDL/CB_Unix/SourceCode/cbunix6.pdf (p. 50).  However, there is a sys5.c with some semaphore stuff in it.  Not how the code gets from the sigcall entry to that file, maybe there's a CB-specific syscall aggregator like the sys3b systemcall for 3B20-specific stuff.  It had never actually occurred to me that the semaphores in SVR1 weren't the ones from CB-UNIX, I thought they just forklifted all the IPC into 4.0 from CB.  That then means the semaphores that carried through in System V originated at least in UNIX/TS 4.0, but not by way of CB.  Minor trivia, but that's news to me.  Maybe the sysV modification request logs can shed some light, I remember seeing several IPC mentions in there.

- Matt G.