The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] free dead trees, to the best possible home
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:27:07 -0800	[thread overview]

TL; DR.  I'm trying to find the best possible home for some dead trees.

I have about a foot-high stack of manilla folders containing "early Unix papers".  They have been boxed up for a few decades, but appear to be in perfect condition.  I inherited this collection from Jim Joyce, who taught the first Unix course at UC Berkeley and went on to run a series of ventures in Unix-related bookselling, instruction, publishing, etc.

The collection has been boxed up for a few decades, but appears to be in perfect condition.  I don't think it has much financial value, but I suspect that some of the papers may have historical significance.  Indeed, some of them may not be available in any other form, so they definitely should be scanned in and republished.

I also have a variety of newer materials, including full sets of BSD manuals, SunExpert and Unix Review issues, along with a lot of books and course handouts and maybe a SUGtape or two.  I'd like to donate these materials to an institution that will take care of them, make them available to interested parties, etc.  Here are some suggested recipients:

- The Computer History Museum (Mountain View, CA, USA)
- The Internet Archive (San Francisco, CA, USA)
- The Living Computers Museum (Seattle, WA, USA)
- The UC Berkeley Library (Berkeley, CA, USA)
- The Unix Heritage Association (Australia?)
- The USENIX Association (Berkeley, CA, USA)

According to Warren Toomey, TUHS probably isn't the best possibility.  The Good News about most of the others is that I can get materials to them in the back of my car.  However, I may be overlooking some better possibility, so I am following Warren's suggestion and asking here.  I'm open to any suggestions that have a convincing rationale.

Now, open for suggestions (ducks)...

-r