The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] 4.4BSD sparc, pmax binary recently compiled
@ 2021-03-14  2:31 Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2021-03-14  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'MOCHIDA Shuji ', 'tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org '

Wow this is nothing short of GREAT!

I always wanted to tackle this but it was out of my reach as I barely got
anything from this lineage to build to anything.

Most excellent!

From: MOCHIDA Shuji @ 2021-03-06 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

>  gxemul -X -e 3max -db:./bsd44f-pmax-self-20210224.dkimg -j vmunix

 You may add -o '-s' to boot single user, for setting time.

  # TZ=Japan date
  Sat Mar 6 20:11:12 JST 1994
  # TZ=Japan date 2103062012
  Sat Mar 6 20:12:00 JST 2021
  # fsck -p
  # ^D

That is same as NetBSD 1.1/pmax. Emulator GXemul returns fixed year
value 72 in gxemul-0.6.2/src/devices/dev_mc146818.cc
mc146818_update_time():244, 4.4BSD's src/sys/pmax/pmax/clock.c
inittodr() do year + YR_OFFSET -> 94, evry time you boot.

> Now I just need to figure out how to get things in and out of there!

 gxemul support NAPT networking by default, router 10.0.0.254 prepared.
You can add same network address to le0.

  # ifconfig le0 10.0.0.3
  # route add default 10.0.0.254

 If your gxemul is by pkgsrc, and above 0.6.2nb1, tap(4) support exists.

 I can use NFS (mount_nfs -P), and amd (use mount:=, unmount:=),
though low speed and unstable.

-mochid

* Re: [TUHS] 4.4BSD sparc, pmax binary recently compiled
@ 2021-03-06  8:00 ` Michael Huff
From: Michael Huff @ 2021-03-06  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Truly wonderful stuff -thank you for putting it together!

It took me a bit to puzzle out what to type, mostly because I'm
unfamiliar with gxemul. What finally did the trick for me (on NetBSD
9.1) was:

  gxemul -X -e 3max -db:./bsd44f-pmax-self-20210224.dkimg -j vmunix

Now I just need to figure out how to get things in and out of there!

Thank you so, so much!

@ 2021-03-06  7:35 ` Rico Pajarola
From: Rico Pajarola @ 2021-03-06  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MOCHIDA Shuji; +Cc: TUHS main list

great work, this is really cool!

I'll give this a try on a real DECstation when I get a chance

@ 2021-03-06  2:42 MOCHIDA Shuji