Hey Chris, do you remember the story about why Morris’s worm wasn’t able to break into UMD’s machines through the finger daemon? ;) Do you still have the logs…? -Don > On 15 Nov 2017, at 23:42, Chris Torek wrote: > >> `:noh' turns off the highlighting of the current matches. > > YAY! > > I've been using Arthur Krewat's method, basically /asdf, > for a long time now. Now I have: > > map :nohlsearch > > in my .vimrc ( is backslash, so after /foo, \\ turns > off the highlighting). > > One other really useful thing, given issues with tabs vs spaces, > that I'll share here, comes just before this new entry: > > function! ToggleTabs() > if &list > set nolist > else > set list listchars=tab:>.,trail:>,precedes:< > endif > endfunction > > map t :call ToggleTabs() > > With this, \t makes tabs visible, or invisible if they are > currently visible. Despite the name it also highlights trailing > whitespace (the highlight is a bit subtle though). > > Chris