The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Parts sources, etc.
       [not found] ` <greg@ciswired.com>
@ 2001-03-05 21:22   ` Pete Turnbull
From: Pete Turnbull @ 2001-03-05 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 5, 11:52, Gregory R. Travis wrote:

> I need sources for the following, can anyone suggest good starting
points?

> 	1.  Unit select plugs for the RL02s.  All the plugs I have are "0",
> 	I'd like to be able to use more than one RL02 on the system if need
be.

I had a similar problem -- several RL02s but the plugs were for units 0 and
1 ("And sometimes we didn't even have ones.  I wrote an entire database
using only zeros."  "You had zeros?  We had to use the letter 'O'.")

The switches are standard Honeywell AML series, so you might be able to get
plugs for them frm a Honeywell supplier -- but don't hold your breath.

Each plug has a finger on each side (and a "key" on top).  The upper and
lower edge of each finger activates (or not) a contact in the housing.  I
used matchsticks to work out what lengths were required before I saw real
plugs.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend using matchsticks except in an
emergency but you could do what I did, and make your own plugs.  I made
mine from thin Perspex (Lucite), each from five pieces glued together to
make a box.  The "code" is:

Unit   upper left   lower left     upper right    lower right
0        short        short           short          long
1        short        short           long*          long
2        long         long            short          long
3        long         long            long*          long

The ones I've marked "long*" go the full length of the finger, with just a
small bevel to make insertion easier.

> 	2.  Peanut lamps for the RL02s and RA81s.  I assume they're the
> 	same lamp for both drives.  These are the lamps that go behind the
> 	front-panel switches and indicators (e.g. Load/Ready/Write
Protect/etc.)
> 	I pulled one lamp and it was marked CM73ENG.  A search on Goodle
> 	for this pulls up nothing.

They're standard T1 1/2 wedge-base bulbs (5mm dia x 18mm long), but to be
authentic you should use 14V bulbs rather than the more common 12V ones.
 12V ones will burn out relatively quickly.

> 	3.  New, or good substitutes, for the coarse air filters used
behind
> 	the 11/44 front panel as well as behind the RA81 front panels.  The
> 	ones that I have are literally crumbling apart.

The best thing I've found is the synthetic open-weave fibrous mat used in
domestic cooker hoods and the like.  I get mine from the local hardware
shop; it's very cheap.  It comes in at least two thicknesses; if the stuff
you find is too thick, you can peel it apart as if it were layered.

Can't help with the rest, I'm afraid.

--

Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <Fred.van.Kempen@microwalt.nl>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Subject: [pups] DEC ULTRIX-11 V3.1 bin/src install kit
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:48:34 +0100
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

All,

As a part of my efforts to create an enhanced version of the Ultrix-11 Unix
distribution that can be used on PDP-11's, I started out with creating a kit
that has all the parts and which can be used to create a bootable
installation
tape from which you can install it on a machine.

I am uploading "ultrix11-v3.1-kit.tar.gz" to PUPS as we speak.  A README
file
is included, as contains the following:

-
DEC ULTRX-11 V3.1 Master Distribution Kit

This directory contains the files needed to build a complete
installation kit of version 3.1 of the ULTRIX-11 Unix system
for the DEC PDP-11.  Version 3.1 was also the final release;
no more development was done after, as UEG shifted its focus
to the new VAX systems.  Ultrix effectively was ported to the
VAX. and called Ultrix-32.  Later releases were called either
Ultrix/VAX or Ultrix/RISC, depending on which DEC platform it
was for.

This distribution contains files from both the V3.1 binary
kit (dug up by Wilko Bulte), the V3.1 source kit from Steven
Schultz, and some other tools and files grabbed from anywhere.

The kit is basically a regeneratable V3.1 binary boot kit,
with the official SRCKIT added to it (as tape file 35). The
top-level "build" script does what it says.. it builds the
tape so you can start it up and go to get some sleep :)

To get the ball rolling, check the value of the TAPE variable
at the top of the "build" script.  It is set to what MY tape
device (TK50 on TQK50 controller) under Ultrix-11 V3.1 is,
so you may have to change it.

Then, type

    ./build

and watch things go.  After about two hours of tape activity,
you should be woken up by two BEEPs telling you that it is all
done.  Unload the tape and you're all set.

Extreme thanks go to Wilko and Steven for digging up this stuff;
to Bill Gunshannon, Ed "The Wanderer", Kees Stravers and Warren
Toomey for their support while I was fighting hardware problems
and debug weird software issues.  Thanks guys!!

If you run into problems, drop me a note!

Have fun !

Fred N. van Kempen, <fred at microwalt.nl>
March 5th, 2001
-

Upcoming release of this kit will contain, amongst other things:

- VTserver 2.0 support (you can install the tape off a virtual tape
server!!)
- TDF 1.0 (Tape Dump Format) file support for archiving tape dumps
- My TCP/IP "fromto" network pipe program
- C-Kermit, compress/uncompress
- more documentation
- more network stuff
- my RX50 boot/rescue diskette set (2 RX50's.. neat!)

Watch this space for more....

Warren: expect about 38MB of stuff to drop into your mailbox tonight...

Cheers,
	Fred
--
Fred N. van Kempen                         Fred.van.Kempen at MicroWalt.NL
Microsoft MCSE+I/MCSE/MCSD                               Compaq ASE/ACT

            InterNetworking en Network Security Consultant
   MicroWalt Corporation (Netherlands), Korte Heul 95, 1403 ND BUSSUM
  Phone +31 (35) 6980059 FAX +31 (35) 6980215  http://WWW.MicroWalt.NL/

Dit  bericht  en  eventuele bijlagen is  uitsluitend  bestemd  voor  de
geadresseerde.  Openbaarmaking,   vermenigvuldiging,  verspreiding  aan
derden  is  niet  toegestaan.   Er   wordt   geen  verantwoordelijkheid
genomen  voor de juiste en  volledige  overbrenging van  de inhoud  van
dit bericht, noch voor de tijdige ontvangst ervan.

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:42:19 -0500
From: SHOPPA@trailing-edge.com
To: PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Subject: Re: [pups] Parts sources, etc.
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> 	2.  Peanut lamps for the RL02s and RA81s.  I assume they're the
> 	same lamp for both drives.  These are the lamps that go behind the
> 	front-panel switches and indicators (e.g. Load/Ready/Write
Protect/etc.)
> 	I pulled one lamp and it was marked CM73ENG.  A search on Goodle
> 	for this pulls up nothing.

RL02's and RA81's use different bulbs; the #73 is for the RL02, and is
14V.  The #86 is for the RA8n, and is 6.30V.  You can put the #86 in a
RL02, and while it will be real bright, the lifetime will be measured
in hours.  Put the #73 in a RA8n and it will be dim, but at least it'll last
a while :-).

These bulbs are readily available in the US from most "old-line" electronics
distributors.  Mail order places that stock them are Newark and Mouser;
the relevant Newark URL's are

http://search.newark.com/part_detail.phtml?PART%5FID=250&VID=250&10005=50N8071

and

http://search.newark.com/part_detail.phtml?PART%5FID=250&VID=250&10005=50N8068

If you're going to be doing this a lot, you ought to find yourself a
bulb puller.  Getting those bulbs in and out of recessed sockets is a whole
lot easier with such a tool!

Tim.

From: robin.birch@postoffice.co.uk
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:46:08 +0000
Subject: [pups] Half Inch Tape
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Dear All,
I am after some reels of 0.5 inch tape and some spare write protect rings in the
UK.  Can anyone help?

Regards

Robin

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-03-05 21:22 UTC | newest]