The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Making boot disks (fwd)
@ 2002-09-30 23:39 Warren Toomey
       [not found] ` <20020930214211.5d53a9a0.spyro@f2s.com>
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-09-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Forwarded message from Ian Molton -----

From spyro at f2s.com Tue Oct  1 09:02:24 2002
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:15:35 +0100
From: Ian Molton <spyro@f2s.com>
To: wkt at tuhs.org
Subject: Re: Making boot disks

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:37:35 +1000 (EST)
Warren Toomey <wkt at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:

> I'll pass this to the mailing list to see if others can help you.
> I'd say that Linux is unlikely to construct the correct filesystem
> type. There are severl UFS variants, and you'd need to know the exact
> layout details to be sure that Linux (or something else) could create
> the boot disks.

Thanks.

I found some ufs code in the HURD source, and VERY crudely hacked it. It
creates filesystems that linux can mount, but it crashed trying to write
big files to it (doh!)

any advice from the list would be appreciated :)

----- End of forwarded message from Ian Molton -----

* [TUHS] Re: Making boot disks
@ 2002-10-01  8:01 Christian Groessler
From: Christian Groessler @ 2002-10-01  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/01/2002 01:37:54 AM CET Ian Molton wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:29:02 +0930
>"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, it would be nice to know what you're really trying to do.
>> What's the hardware?  If the file system is UFS, it's unlikely to be a
>> good fit for Linux.  I'd say "try FreeBSD", but without knowing more
>> about your software and hardware, it's not clear if that would be any
>> better.  Google suggests that it runs on ARMs.  Is that correct?
>
>The hardware is an obscure british platform from back when the ARM was
>young. - The Archimedes.
>
>The CPU is the ARM2 or 3 (either work) and the systems have SCSI,
>ethernet, and (up to) 16Mb of RAM.

I think NetBSD supports these machines. See

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/acorn26/

regards,
chris