The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-04  1:45 Warren Toomey
       [not found] ` <Pine.BSF.4.58.0402040217200.17836@mail.keck.cx>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2004-02-04  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
	Does anybody know of a distribution of Mark William's Coherent
available on-line, or if someone has a distribution could they make a
copy for me. Ditto for Idris. I'm particularly interested in their
header files, and how closely they match the contemporary Unix headers.

Thanks,
	Warren

@ 2004-02-04 13:10   ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-02-04 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren et al:

> 	Does anybody know of a distribution of Mark William's Coherent
> available on-line, or if someone has a distribution could they make a
> copy for me. Ditto for Idris. I'm particularly interested in their
> header files, and how closely they match the contemporary Unix headers.

ftp.mayn.de used to serve the stuff, but it they switched servers,
and it looks as if their archives are still high&dry. Planetmirror
pleads amnesia.I grabbed a copy of mayn's coherent tree last April,
some 2GB tgz'd.  This is the complete Coherent installation, in form
of a copy of .dd floppy images, and some additional pieces.
Unfortunately I don't have any FTP server set up anywhere, so do you,
by chance, have a place where I can drop it off?

BTW.. should anyboy's response get nuked by my smtpd, please respond
to usenet54 at keck.us.

Cornelius

--
                             Cornelius Keck
                 cornelius at keck.cx / ckeck at texoma.net

@ 2004-02-04 16:09 ` Larry J. Blunk
From: Larry J. Blunk @ 2004-02-04 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I have header files for QNX and SunOS 4.1.4 if you are
interested.

@ 2004-02-04 17:53 ` Paul Ward
From: Paul Ward @ 2004-02-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Warren,

Wednesday, February 4, 2004, 1:45:40 AM, you wrote:

WT> Hi all,
WT> 	Does anybody know of a distribution of Mark William's Coherent
WT> available on-line, or if someone has a distribution could they make a
WT> copy for me. Ditto for Idris. I'm particularly interested in their
WT> header files, and how closely they match the contemporary Unix headers.

I have Coherent 4.2.10 binary/source here.
I'm in the process of uploading to tuhs ftpd.

[asmodai at oberth.unixware.org.uk]$ ls -al Coherent-4.2.10.rar
-rw-r-----   1 asmodai  100      20703444 Jun 14  2003 Coherent-4.2.10.rar

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:asmodai at ao.mine.nu

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-05  3:04     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2004-02-05  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:10:58AM -0600, Cornelius Keck wrote:
> Warren et al:
> > 	Does anybody know of a distribution of Mark William's Coherent
>
> ftp.mayn.de used to serve the stuff, but it they switched servers,
> and it looks as if their archives are still high&dry. Planetmirror
> pleads amnesia.I grabbed a copy of mayn's coherent tree last April,
> some 2GB tgz'd.

I've put everything I've been sent or have found up at
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Other/Coherent/

Are you sure mayn's coherent is 2GB? I don't have that much room spare :)

Thank all for your contributions!!

	Warren

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-05  8:14       ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-02-05  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yikes, that what happens while typing in a decaf'd state.
Sorry about the mixup, it's 20MB, not 2G.

> I've put everything I've been sent or have found up at
> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Other/Coherent/

Hmm... mine's pretty much the same as the things underneath
.../Coherent1, so that's already all there. The header files
can be found at the usual place after installing the base,
and optionally the kernel source. To get to the contents, one
would need a fairly conservatively equipped PC ((34)86, 16MB,
AHA1542C*, or IDE controller with a not too large disk), and
another machine, running some recent *BSD/Linux/Solaris, to
then install the goodies on the former, set up a UUCP connection
to the latter, to get the stuff distributed in it's unpacked
form, because, AFAIK, MWC never got around to implement any
decent IP stack.

I'm currently still in France, but I should have some
sufficiently outdated hardware somewhere, to get this installed
within one or two weeks.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Cornelius

--
                             Cornelius Keck
                 cornelius at keck.cx / usenet54 at keck.us

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-05  8:35         ` Paul Ward
From: Paul Ward @ 2004-02-05  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Cornelius,

CK> Yikes, that what happens while typing in a decaf'd state.
CK> Sorry about the mixup, it's 20MB, not 2G.

>> I've put everything I've been sent or have found up at
>> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Other/Coherent/

CK> Hmm... mine's pretty much the same as the things underneath
CK> .../Coherent1, so that's already all there. The header files
CK> can be found at the usual place after installing the base,
CK> and optionally the kernel source. To get to the contents, one
CK> would need a fairly conservatively equipped PC ((34)86, 16MB,
CK> AHA1542C*, or IDE controller with a not too large disk), and
CK> another machine, running some recent *BSD/Linux/Solaris, to
CK> then install the goodies on the former, set up a UUCP connection
CK> to the latter, to get the stuff distributed in it's unpacked
CK> form, because, AFAIK, MWC never got around to implement any
CK> decent IP stack.

Yes, seems that we all gave Warren the same thing.

I've had 4.2.10 running on a box for a while now - not done a thing
with it yet re network stack.

Photos of the box in "action".

http://ao.mine.nu/Pics/MVC-537F.JPG
http://ao.mine.nu/Pics/MVC-538F.JPG
http://ao.mine.nu/Pics/MVC-539F.JPG

There is a TCP/IP stack floating round for Coherent (I have Tulip and
NE2000 drivers for it), but I forget where to obtain it now.  If I
locate it, I'll upload it for Warren to add.

Incidentally, there is also no virtual memory support with 4.2.10.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:asmodai at ao.mine.nu

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-05 10:56           ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-02-05 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is a TCP/IP stack floating round for Coherent (I have Tulip and
> NE2000 drivers for it), but I forget where to obtain it now.  If I
> locate it, I'll upload it for Warren to add.

Hmmm... could that have been ka9q, that MSDos thingie, adapted
to use some NE2000 directly?

> Incidentally, there is also no virtual memory support with 4.2.10.

Yes.. but then Coherent was small enough to just squeeze by without,
unless one installed X11, and started too many clients.

--
                             Cornelius Keck
                 cornelius at keck.cx / usenet54 at keck.us

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-05 11:17             ` Paul Ward
From: Paul Ward @ 2004-02-05 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Cornelius,

>> There is a TCP/IP stack floating round for Coherent (I have Tulip and
>> NE2000 drivers for it), but I forget where to obtain it now.  If I
>> locate it, I'll upload it for Warren to add.

CK> Hmmm... could that have been ka9q, that MSDos thingie, adapted
CK> to use some NE2000 directly?

Appears it is indeed, taken from the archive:

info on tcpip.gtz
Author: various
Date: June 7, 1994
Copyright: freely distribatable for non-commercial purposes.
Uploaded by: Randy Wright, (rw at rwsys.wimsey.bc.ca)
Adapted from KA9Q/K5JB, this is a user level implementation of
tcp/ip. It has been modified to support 32 bit coding, event
drive, and stripped of all that I could not test. It does
not support ax.25 or netrom. It does support ethernet (with
ne2000.gtz device driver) and slip. It has a dialer and a
domain name client. Compiles with either gcc OR mwc compiler.

requires: coherent 4.2 or higher.

--Randy Wright

A quick google reveals
http://www1.vobis.de/bbs/firmen/ct/share/index_ch.htm to be a source
for download (search for cohulip.tar).

>> Incidentally, there is also no virtual memory support with 4.2.10.

CK> Yes.. but then Coherent was small enough to just squeeze by without,
CK> unless one installed X11, and started too many clients.

The box I have it on is a 486sx/25 with 8Mb RAM - remembering the joys
of X11R6 + fvwm back when it ran Linux 2.0.29, I'm tempted to install
X11 on it now :)

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:asmodai at ao.mine.nu

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2004-02-05 11:36           ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-02-05 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is a TCP/IP stack floating round for Coherent (I have Tulip and
> NE2000 drivers for it), but I forget where to obtain it now.  If I
> locate it, I'll upload it for Warren to add.

BTW, some excavation on ftp.demon.co.uk shows this:

Current directory is /pub/coherent/sources32/network/

[DIRECTORY]  Parent Directory
[FILE]       00INDEX. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    [Nov 24  1998]     87B
[FILE]       00demon. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    [Nov 24  1998]    276B
[BINARY]     cohulip.tgz. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    [Apr 17  1995]    840K
[BINARY]     ka9q.tar.Z . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    [Feb 12  1995]    851K
[BINARY]     tcpipFIX03.tar . . . . . . . . . . . . .    [Feb 12  1995]    120K

The matching location on tuhs looks empty,btw.

--
                             Cornelius Keck
                 cornelius at keck.cx / usenet54 at keck.us

* [TUHS] Location of a Coherent distribution?
@ 2005-05-16 17:18 Andrzej Popielewicz
From: Andrzej Popielewicz @ 2005-05-16 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Paul,

I have seen in the tuhs list, that You are going to upload 4.2.10 sources .
Can You tell me , where did You get if from ?
Or You mean sources of 4.2.14 once available at demon or mayn ?

Or Did You get it from MWC ?

Regards
Andrzej
P.S It does not mean I am interested . I have authoried sources of 4.2.10.