The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* 32V update (was Re: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...)
@ 2003-11-04 18:18 macbiesz
From: macbiesz @ 2003-11-04 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

You should make some kind of status log, showing what parts of the system have been ported, and what still needs to be done. That would make it easier for others to help out.

Maciek

From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-10-31 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or, for something really wierd...., how about porting 32V to
the modern VAXen, such as the scsi 3000 or 4000 class
machines?  x86 is nice, and good to do because of its
generic ubiquity, but somehow it ought to roll again on
something, VAX, too.....(:+}}... just for usable posterity.
How much of a chore would it be to port from say an
Ultrix box?  The tool chain should be basically intact.
Mebbie it is time to dust off our old VAX 3000 M38 crates.

There I go thinking out loud...., again.....

Bob Keys

* [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
@ 2003-10-20 13:35 Pat Villani
       [not found] ` <200311022346.34747.wes.parish@paradise.net.nz>
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-10-20 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Folks,

I recently copied down the 32V source, and compiled the kernel with gcc.  Much
to my surprise, most of it compiled.  I then split out the machine dependent
versus the machine independent files (loose classification :-), and compiled
again.  Naturally, in both cases, you could not actually build a kernel because
there are vax specific .s files, but the individual C files compiled.  Not a bad
start.

As a result, I've been giving serious consideration to porting it to Intel IA32
platforms.  It's much simpler than the unix I worked on until last year (Tru64,
aka OSF/1 and Digital UNIX), and the 32V kernel is only a little bigger than the
original FreeDOS kernel I wrote.  The Caldera license is pretty much a BSD
license, which could be considered an open source license.  This means I should
be able to work on it without worrying about IP, although I'd still need
management approval.

Should I undertake such an project, would there be enough interest to justify
the effort?

Pat

--
You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do. -- Henry Ford