The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-09 20:13 Warren Toomey
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-10-09 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, we just had about a dozen new subscribers to the TUHS list. Rather than
e-mail you all individually, I thought I'd use the list itself to say
"Welcome!".

The TUHS list generally has a high signal/noise ratio on the history of
Unix, the systems and software, and anecdotes from those who used the
various flavours. Occasionally, we drift a bit off-topic and I'll gently
nudge the conversation back to Unix history.

and you should browse the last couple of months to get a feel for
what we talk about.

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-09 20:50 ` Tomasz Rola
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2019-10-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 06:13:21AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, we just had about a dozen new subscribers to the TUHS list. Rather than
> e-mail you all individually, I thought I'd use the list itself to say
> "Welcome!".

Aloha!

SunOS/Solaris 1992-1995 (user)
AIX - a very short period inside Solaris period (user)
Linux 1994-... (finally, a small time admin)
OpenBSD ... (if I migrate there) - ...

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-09 23:26 ` Dave Horsfall
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-10-09 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Warren Toomey wrote:

> All, we just had about a dozen new subscribers to the TUHS list. Rather
> than e-mail you all individually, I thought I'd use the list itself to
> say "Welcome!".

May this list live forever!

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-09 23:51 ` Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-10-09 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 06:13:21AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> The TUHS list generally has a high signal/noise ratio on the history of
> Unix, the systems and software, and anecdotes from those who used the
> various flavours. Occasionally, we drift a bit off-topic and I'll gently
> nudge the conversation back to Unix history.

Heh, I just realised that I'm the UNIX of mail list administrators. I say
nothing when you do the usual things, but give you a cryptic warning when
you do something not quite right :)

Ciao, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-09 23:58 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2019-10-09 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

On Thursday, 10 October 2019 at  6:13:21 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, we just had about a dozen new subscribers to the TUHS
> list. Rather than e-mail you all individually, I thought I'd use the
> list itself to say "Welcome!".

"Welcome!".

> The TUHS list generally has a high signal/noise ratio on the history of
> Unix, the systems and software, and anecdotes from those who used the
> various flavours. Occasionally, we drift a bit off-topic and I'll gently
> nudge the conversation back to Unix history.

You might like to point at the COFF list (coff@tuhs.org) for
(slightly) off-topic posts.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-10  0:03   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-10-10  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Warren Toomey wrote:

> Heh, I just realised that I'm the UNIX of mail list administrators. I
> say nothing when you do the usual things, but give you a cryptic warning
> when you do something not quite right :)

Was it "ed" that only gave two error messages?  Something like "tmp" for
/tmp being full, and "?" for "error - you get to figure it out"?

And there was the car (ObUS: auto) that only had a single warning light:
"The user is supposed to know what it means."

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-10  0:22     ` greg travis
From: greg travis @ 2019-10-10  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> And there was the car (ObUS: auto) that only had a single warning light:
> "The user is supposed to know what it means."
>
> -- Dave

"Ken Thompson has an automobile which he helped design. Unlike most
automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas gauge, nor any of the
other numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver. Rather, if the
driver makes a mistake, a giant “?” lights up in the center of the
dashboard. “The experienced driver,” says Thompson, “will usually know
what’s wrong.”"

(https://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/new90/366.html)

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-10  9:21 ` Tony Travis
From: Tony Travis @ 2019-10-10  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 09/10/2019 21:13, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, we just had about a dozen new subscribers to the TUHS list. Rather than
> e-mail you all individually, I thought I'd use the list itself to say
> "Welcome!".
> [...]

Hi, Warren.

I'm one of your recent TUHS list subscribers - I first encountered AT&T
Version 7 Unix on a PDP11/34 and I've used all sorts of *nix since then.

One thing I noticed on this list is people's interest in the use of
UPPER/lower case in Unix. It's always puzzled me when everyone talks
about [the] PDP11 when, in fact, is says "pdp11" on the system itself:

> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Pdp-11-40.jpg/250px-Pdp-11-40.jpg

DEC seemed to have a schizophrenic attitude to this in their
documentation, sometimes using "PDP11" and sometimes "pdp11".

Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience to me when visiting the
"Computer History Museum" in Palo Alto and being totally shocked to see
machines I used 'quite recently' there as museum exhibits!

I also made a complaint to the Museum, because the original Donald
Becker Beowulf was hidden away in a corner behind a Cray machine :-(

Nevertheless, a fantastic museum and I highly recommend a visit!

Bye,

   Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-10 15:27 ` Larry W. Cashdollar via TUHS
From: Larry W. Cashdollar via TUHS @ 2019-10-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey, tuhs

On 10/9/19, 4:13 PM, "TUHS on behalf of Warren Toomey" <tuhs-bounces@minnie.tuhs.org on behalf of wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
   > All, we just had about a dozen new subscribers to the TUHS list. Rather than
    >e-mail you all individually, I thought I'd use the list itself to say
    >"Welcome!".

 Hello, Everyone!

My first interaction with a UNIX system was with a Dec Alpha in my C programming class ~ 1993.  In 1994 I installed Slackware on my 486.
I've worked with HP-UX, SCO, BSD, *inux*, Solaris, IRIX, AIX since then.  I have a Sun Ultra 1500, Sun Ultra 5 and an SGI Indy R5000 all running at home
In my office.

Thank you!,
Larry Cashdollar.

Yes, that's my real name. __

* [TUHS] BSD Password cracked (fun)
@ 2019-10-11 13:19   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2019-10-11 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

A bit of fun. In appeareance, 39 years later, Ken Thompson's password on
BSD Unix has been cracked... Congratulations for the password, by the way.

https://thehackernews.com/2019/10/unix-bsd-password-cracked.html

Cordiales saludos / Kind Regards.

Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
--
*Sergio Pedraja*
--

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-12 20:42     ` Tony Travis
From: Tony Travis @ 2019-10-12 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/10/2019 20:39, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
> On 10/10/19 22:46, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>
>>> DEC documentation mostly used uppercase in the text; e.g. the "pdp11
>>> peripherals handbook" (to transcribe the cover exactly) uses "PDP-11"
>>> several times on pg 1-1.
>>
>> And being an acronym it is of course upper-case...
>
> At the risk of being labelled a pedant. from the OED:

Hi, Nemo.

It takes one to know one!

> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/acronym

What is interesting about this definition is that an 'acronym' is
pronounced as a word (i.e. not spelled out as letters). So, from that
point of view PDP-11 is an 'initialism' and not an acronym :-)

> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/initialism

Which opens up a whole area of controversy about how to pronounce:

   vi

In my experience, research users and hackers spell it out as "vee eye"
as originally described by Bill Joy, but business/enterprise users tend
to pronounce it as "vye" instead.

Well, I'm a research *nix user so I spell "vi" out, but my dark secret
is that I do pronounce "vim" as a full word and don't spell it out...

I suppose this is just about recognition of a suitable peer group that
agree, but it really sets my teeth on edge when people pronounce "vi"!

Anyone else got pet hates about how people pronounce *nix commands?

There are many pointless discussions about this already on the Internet,
so please only post comments here of historical interest like mine :-)

@ 2019-10-12 19:39   ` Nemo Nusquam
From: Nemo Nusquam @ 2019-10-12 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 10/10/19 22:46, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>> DEC documentation mostly used uppercase in the text; e.g. the "pdp11
>> peripherals handbook" (to transcribe the cover exactly) uses "PDP-11"
>> several times on pg 1-1.
>
> And being an acronym it is of course upper-case...

At the risk of being labelled a pedant. from the OED:

acronym orig. U.S. (ˈækrənɪm) [f. acr(o- + -onym after homonym.]
A word formed from the initial letters of other words. Hence as v.
trans., to convert into an acronym (chiefly pass. and as pa. pple.).
Also acroˈnymic a.; acroˈnymically adv.; ˈacronyming vbl. n.;
ˈacronymize v. trans.

vs.

initialism (ɪnˈɪʃəlɪzm) [f. initial n. + -ism.]
The use of initials; a significative group of initial letters. Now spec.
a group of initial letters used as an abbreviation for a name or
expression, each letter or part being pronounced separately (contrasted
with acronym).

N.

@ 2019-10-11 13:11     ` Michael Parson
From: Michael Parson @ 2019-10-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2019-10-11 07:55, Tony Travis wrote:
> On 11/10/2019 03:46, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>
>>> DEC documentation mostly used uppercase in the text; e.g. the "pdp11
>>> peripherals handbook" (to transcribe the cover exactly) uses "PDP-11"
>>> several times on pg 1-1.
>>
>> And being an acronym it is of course upper-case...
>
> Hi, Dave.
>
> On the _machine_ itself, DEC wrote "pdp11"...

Well, that's also in-line with their using all lower-case on their logo.

> An acronym doesn't have to be upper-case!
>
> Many Unix commands are lower case acronyms:
>
>   cd = (c)ange (d)irectory
>   pwd (p)rint (w)orking (directory)
>   ls = (l)ist file(s)

I always thought of it as (l)i(s)t files.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX

* Re: [TUHS] Welcome to new TUHS subscribers
@ 2019-10-11 12:55   ` Tony Travis
From: Tony Travis @ 2019-10-11 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2019-10-11  2:46 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-10-11  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2019-10-10 13:18 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-10-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Tony Travis

    > It's always puzzled me when everyone talks about [the] PDP11 when, in
    > fact, is says "pdp11" on the system itself:

DEC documentation mostly used uppercase in the text; e.g. the "pdp11
peripherals handbook" (to transcribe the cover exactly) uses "PDP-11"
several times on pg 1-1.

	Noel