The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] E-mail address for Dick Haight?
@ 2011-12-11 18:52 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2011-12-11 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnold Skeeve:

  Have you asked Doug McIlroy?

=======

Actually I did, last night, on Warren's behalf.
I had meant to drop Doug a note anyway to apologize
for not letting him know I was in his general neighborhood
last week.

Here's Doug's reply:

  Pipes were first documented
  in v3, Feb 1973.  At that time my original clumsy shell
  syntax, cmd>cmd>[file] was still in use.  Within a few
  months, Ken invented today's pipe symbol as something
  more presentable at a talk he'd been invited to give
  in England--an Infosys "State of the Art" conference
  if I remember correctly (not the same Infosys as the
  current Indian giant).

  I also remember the very blackboard in the garret
  lab where I sketched my syntax and Ken exclaimed,
  "I'll do it".  That was late in the day and I'm
  quite sure it was dark outside.  Unlike Ken, I
  was not in the habit of staying in the lab into
  the evening.  That makes me think that pipe day
  was not too far off the solstice.

  It would be nice to believe that pipes preciptated
  the third edition, but in fact the first four editions
  came out almost like clockwork at 8-month intervals,
  so any correlation with pipes is highly speculative.

======

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(actually Ramsey NJ at the moment, a good bit north of Murray Hill)

* [TUHS] E-mail address for Dick Haight?
@ 2011-12-11  7:16 arnold
From: arnold @ 2011-12-11  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you asked Doug McIlroy?

* [TUHS] E-mail address for Dick Haight?
@ 2011-12-11  0:25 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2011-12-11  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

All, would anybody have an e-mail address for Dick Haight? I am still
trying to narrow done the date when pipes were added to Unix, so far
between June 72 and January 73. I have this quote from Dick:

     "I happened to have been visiting the research crew the
     day they implemented pipes. It was clear to everyone
     practically minutes after the system came up with pipes
     working that it was a wonderful thing. Nobody would ever go
     back and give that up if they could help it."

so he might be able to provide a smaller date range than what I have
at present.

Cheers,
	Warren