The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] most direct Unix descendant
       [not found] <1324869037.1755756.1717582639424.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2024-06-05 10:17 ` Andrew Lynch via TUHS
From: Andrew Lynch via TUHS @ 2024-06-05 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS Main List

Hi
Out of curiosity, what would be considered the most direct descendent of Unix available today?  Yes, there are many descendants, but they've all gone down their own evolutionary paths.
Is it FreeBSD or NetBSD?  Something else?  I don't think it would be Minix or Linux because I remember when they came along, and it was well after various Unix versions were around.
Does such a thing even exist anymore?  I remember using AT&T Unix System V and various BSD variants back in college in the 1980's.  System V was the "new thing" back then but was eventually sold and seems to have faded.  Maybe it is only available commercially, but it does not seem as prominent as it once was.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Andrew Lynch

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-05 10:51   ` Andrew Warkentin
From: Andrew Warkentin @ 2024-06-05 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 4:17 AM Andrew Lynch via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Out of curiosity, what would be considered the most direct descendent of Unix available today?  Yes, there are many descendants, but they've all gone down their own evolutionary paths.
>
> Is it FreeBSD or NetBSD?  Something else?  I don't think it would be Minix or Linux because I remember when they came along, and it was well after various Unix versions were around.
>
> Does such a thing even exist anymore?  I remember using AT&T Unix System V and various BSD variants back in college in the 1980's.  System V was the "new thing" back then but was eventually sold and seems to have faded.  Maybe it is only available commercially, but it does not seem as prominent as it once was.
>
> Any thoughts?

What exactly do you mean by "most direct descendant of Unix"? Are you
specifically talking about Research Unix? Both USG (SysIII/SysV) and
BSD are actually more like side branches from Research Unix, and
neither is really a continuation of it. After V7, Research Unix
continued until V10, but was barely distributed outside Bell Labs and
had relatively little direct influence on anything else; these late
Research Unix versions did incorporate significant amounts of code
from the side branches that took over the mainstream (especially BSD,
although there may have been a bit of USG code incorporated as well).
I'd say the closest thing to "the most direct modern descendant of
Research Unix" would be Plan 9, which continued the development of the
networking and extensibility features of late Research Unix, but
significantly broke compatibility with Unix (sometimes in ways that
are IMO not really worth the incompatibility).

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-05 13:46     ` Andrew Lynch via TUHS
From: Andrew Lynch via TUHS @ 2024-06-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On Wednesday, June 5, 2024 at 06:51:54 AM EDT, Andrew Warkentin <andreww591@gmail.com> wrote:

 On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 4:17 AM Andrew Lynch via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Out of curiosity, what would be considered the most direct descendent of Unix available today?  Yes, there are many descendants, but they've all gone down their own evolutionary paths.
>
> Is it FreeBSD or NetBSD?  Something else?  I don't think it would be Minix or Linux because I remember when they came along, and it was well after various Unix versions were around.
>
> Does such a thing even exist anymore?  I remember using AT&T Unix System V and various BSD variants back in college in the 1980's.  System V was the "new thing" back then but was eventually sold and seems to have faded.  Maybe it is only available commercially, but it does not seem as prominent as it once was.
>
> Any thoughts?

What exactly do you mean by "most direct descendant of Unix"? Are you
specifically talking about Research Unix? Both USG (SysIII/SysV) and
BSD are actually more like side branches from Research Unix, and
neither is really a continuation of it. After V7, Research Unix
continued until V10, but was barely distributed outside Bell Labs and
had relatively little direct influence on anything else; these late
Research Unix versions did incorporate significant amounts of code
from the side branches that took over the mainstream (especially BSD,
although there may have been a bit of USG code incorporated as well).
I'd say the closest thing to "the most direct modern descendant of
Research Unix" would be Plan 9, which continued the development of the
networking and extensibility features of late Research Unix, but
significantly broke compatibility with Unix (sometimes in ways that
are IMO not really worth the incompatibility).

Hi
That's interesting.  I've been pondering this question for a while and suspected the answer is either "it doesn't exist" or "depends on who you ask" but I hadn't considered Research Unix.
For a long time, I considered AT&T System V to be the primary Unix descendant but have changed my mind and now not sure.  The question is simple, but the answer seems quite complicated.

@ 2024-06-05 17:34   ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2024-06-05 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lynch; +Cc: TUHS Main List

On Wednesday, June 5th, 2024 at 3:17 AM, Andrew Lynch via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Out of curiosity, what would be considered the most direct descendent of Unix available today?

> Thanks, Andrew Lynch

I don't think this question has one correct answer, rather, it really depends on your definition of purity.  My two cents:

From a purely source code perspective, much of System V and its kin can be traced back to the Research implementations of various bits.  Between V7 and V8, Research incorporated a fair deal of BSD, but at a time prior to the majority of BSD being reimplemented as unencumbered source code, so in many parts of the codebase, the actual source still very much was descended from V7, just with some BSD "accent" incorporated.  To me one of the most notable userland divergences in the commercial stream is the init system, what with commercial UNIX aligning more with what is seen in CB (and allegedly USG Program Generic 3, but I have no direct proof, just speculation based on alleged manpages.)

In any case, if you did a huge diff of the source code between say V7 and SVR4, you would likely find a fair deal of commonality, especially in userland.

Taking an alternate viewpoint, BSD, while entirely rewritten, strove for functional compatibility with the bits that were being replaced, and in many ways BSD "behaved" more like Research, in reality and in "spirit".  Again using the init system as an example, to this day the BSDs use an init system much closer to Research init than USGs run-level system.  BSD also shows up in many more UNIX "places" than System V does.  Indeed primarily System V distributions over time incorporate aspects of BSD due to their proliferation elsewhere in the UNIX world, much more than commercial backflow in the other direction.

Given this, my humble opinion (which again this sort of thing I believe is largely a philosophical matter of opinion...) is that the BSD line captures the spirit of Research UNIX much more than System V does, while System V retains much more of the source code lineage of what most folks would consider a "pure" UNIX.  Of course all of this too is predicated on treating V7 (really 32V...) as that central point of divergence.

Good luck in your quest to find the answer to this question.  I suspect it has no concrete answer and rather is one of those more philosophical quandaries that makes UNIX something worth pondering on this level.  That all said, eventually I intend via my mandiff project to determine which of the three "last" historic UNIX manuals (SVR4, 4.4BSD, V10) has the highest parity with V7 literature, and similar work has been attempted via source code (D. Spinellis git repo[1]), so if that sort of quantitative analysis is more your cup of tea, then it may be possible to boil it down to ratios of "is and isn't V7" in codebases...but that sort of thing doesn't paint the full picture.  That and the linked git repo doesn't incorporate System V for legal reasons...a bridge I haven't had to cross yet as I'm between V6 and V7 on my own analysis presently.

One last disclaimer as I know this question can also stir up matters of pride, this is all opinion, and I think only can be opinion at this point, but my opinion is also only based on observations from afar.  I wasn't a key player in this stuff, those folks' thoughts carry much more weight than mine do, but I also suspect, like good parents, folks with more heft to their involvement in things know the value in not playing favorites and letting their issue stand on their own.

- Matt G.

P.S. Can you tell this is one of my favorite questions to ponder :)

[1] - https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/branches/all?page=9

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-05 17:51     ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2024-06-05 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco, Andrew Lynch; +Cc: TUHS Main List

On 6/5/24 12:34 PM, segaloco via TUHS wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 5th, 2024 at 3:17 AM, Andrew Lynch via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what would be considered the most direct descendent of Unix available today?

>> Thanks, Andrew Lynch
> snip
> Given this, my humble opinion (which again this sort of thing I believe is largely a philosophical matter of opinion...) is that the BSD line captures the spirit of Research UNIX much more than System V does, while System V retains much more of the source code lineage of what most folks would consider a "pure" UNIX.  Of course all of this too is predicated on treating V7 (really 32V...) as that central point of divergence.
When I saw this thread appear, I was of two minds about it, but this
lines up with where my thoughts were headed. I've done a lot of delving
into the v6/v7 environments over the last 10 years or so and it feels
much closer in kinship to BSD derivatives than to SysV... source code
lineages aside. Also, I get more mileage out of my BSD books and docs
than those treating SysV. I'd vote for *BSD as sticking closest to the
unix way, if there is still such a thing... I say this as I just typed
'kldload linux64' into freebsd's terminal so I could run sublime
alongside nvi... sometimes I wish I was a purist, but I'm way too fond
of experimentation :).

Will

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-05 18:02       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2024-06-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: segaloco, Andrew Lynch, TUHS Main List

You could argue that the most direct descendant is the one in which all
resources are presented and accessed via open/read/write/close.

If your kernel has separate system calls for reading directories, or
setting up network connections, or debugging processes, then you may not
be a direct descendant, at least philosophically (and, yes, I know about
ptrace ...)

But your kernel might be Plan 9, which at least to me, is the direct
descendant. :-)

@ 2024-06-05 18:22       ` Jeffrey Joshua Rollin
From: Jeffrey Joshua Rollin @ 2024-06-05 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: segaloco, Andrew Lynch, TUHS Main List

Following this line of thought, - and with the disclaimer that my own personal existence begins roughly where what has been called “The Last True UNIX” [Seventh Edition] ends, I’d say that, if ESR - who I know can be controversial - is correct, “BSD won in the marketplace, but System V won the standards wars” or words to that effect.

With that in mind, and given that NetBSD was forked from 386BSD and in turn gave rise to the other BSDs around today, it would be my candidate for “most direct descendant available today,” particularly if we’re talking wide availability. (Whilst V1-6 and beyond were of course only available to users of business and academic mainframes and minicomputers, I’d argue that the other two contenders, Solaris and HP-UX, are sufficiently rare in comparison to the availability even of the open source BSD’s that the word “available” would be doing some rather heavy lifting if I were to include them.) The BSDs (except macOS and whatever SCO’s cash cow is called this evening) are also open source, of course, which is inline with the spirit of early Unix.

I’ve not done an audit - and am not qualified to - but I suspect the main objection to this line of thinking is that despite the fact it still runs on VAX, it would not surprise me in the least to find that (excluding comments, perhaps), not a single line of code remains the same in NetBSD 10 (and indeed several versions prior) to the equivalent in V7 - and again, I’ve no idea how much of V1 remains in V7, nor (other than knowing it was written in assembly) how closely early PDP-11 versions resembled PDP-7 versions. By then, I suspect we really are getting into the Ship of Theseus problem - as the ancient Greeks would have been familiar with the issue, by the time every single plank of Theseus’ Ship has been replaced because the old ones have decayed, is it really the Ship of Theseus anymore?

Plus of course, though it’s more a legal issue than a philosophical one, not only at least one version of Mach-based macOS, but also one distribution  of Linux - which is known not to contain either Minix or UNIX code - have been certified as UNIX by The Open Group.

My 2c

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2024-06-05 18:41         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2024-06-05 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Joshua Rollin; +Cc: Will Senn, segaloco, Andrew Lynch, TUHS Main List

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024, 11:23 AM Jeffrey Joshua Rollin <
jefftwopointzero@gmail.com> wrote:

> Following this line of thought, - and with the disclaimer that my own
> personal existence begins roughly where what has been called “The Last True
> UNIX” [Seventh Edition] ends, I’d say that, if ESR - who I know can be
> controversial - is correct, “BSD won in the marketplace, but System V won
> the standards wars” or words to that effect.
>
> With that in mind, and given that NetBSD was forked from 386BSD and in
> turn gave rise to the other BSDs around today,

That is not true. FreeBSD imported the 386BSD plus patchkit patches into
its CVS tree. It did not inport NetBSD's source, though NetBSD did import
the same sources into their CVS repo days (or maybe weeks) earlier.  Much
of this early history, though, is not widely available as the early NetBSD
and FreeBSD CVS repos are not available in their original form due to the
AT&T lawsuit.

And then the redo of these groups of the 4.4BSD import, the 4.4BSD-lite and
lite 2 rebased both projects further muddy the waters since they now were
both based on approximately the same pure from CSRG sources, rendering the
earlier messiness perhaps moot. Or perhaps not, but not a point that has
universal agreement, even among those involved in doing the work.

It also gets muddy because of the original patchkit authors also spintered
to for both NetBSD and FreeBSD in a way that's most kindly described as
messy, so much spin was broadcast to characterize who was first or best.
The truth is that the split was messy and definitive statements around this
are troublesome at best.

Warner

@ 2024-06-05 19:17           ` Jeffrey Joshua Rollin
From: Jeffrey Joshua Rollin @ 2024-06-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: Will Senn, segaloco, Andrew Lynch, TUHS Main List

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-05 23:07         ` Andrew Warkentin
From: Andrew Warkentin @ 2024-06-05 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 12:02 PM ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could argue that the most direct descendant is the one in which all resources are presented and accessed via open/read/write/close.
>
> If your kernel has separate system calls for reading directories, or setting up network connections, or debugging processes, then you may not  be a direct descendant, at least philosophically (and, yes, I know about ptrace ...)
>
> But your kernel might be Plan 9, which at least to me, is the direct descendant. :-)

Even Plan 9's model is more like "all I/O is a file" and not
"literally everything is a file", since regular process memory is
still anonymous and fork()/rfork() are still system calls. I've never
seen an OS that puts together the "all memory is a file" of Multics
and the "all I/O is a file" of Plan 9. I think the one I'm working on
<https://gitlab.com/uxrt/uxrt-toplevel> is probably the first. Its
public "system call" API (actually a jump table into a static shared
library; the real microkernel system calls will be considered a
private implementation detail) will just consist of
read()/write()/seek()-like calls plus a few support functions to go
with them; even things like open() and close() will be RPCs over a
permanently-open channel file, and process/thread creation and memory
allocation will be done through /proc (there will of course be a
library interface over this that implements regular Unix APIs).

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-06  9:55             ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2024-06-06  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS Main List

Hi,

There's a chart of the connections between Unix versions at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unix_systems, though I dislike the
lack of direction given there are some arcs with little incline.
It says it's based on https://www.levenez.com/unix/ where Éric notes his
chart is not limited to just source-code transfer.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

* [TUHS] Re: most direct Unix descendant
@ 2024-06-06 19:49               ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2024-06-06 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy; +Cc: TUHS Main List

Ralph Corderoy wrote in
 <20240606095502.AD4EE210F4@orac.inputplus.co.uk>:
 |There's a chart of the connections between Unix versions at
 |https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unix_systems, though I dislike the
 |lack of direction given there are some arcs with little incline.
 |It says it's based on https://www.levenez.com/unix/ where Éric notes his
 |chart is not limited to just source-code transfer.

I also admire that FreeBSD and NetBSD keep on maintaining the
bsd-family-tree (and in the original form, not that dots thing, or
how it was called).  So that starts with

  First Edition (V1)

  Second Edition (V2)

  Third Edition (V3)

  Fourth Edition (V4)

  Fifth Edition (V5)

  Sixth Edition (V6) -----*
         \                |
          \               |
           \              |
  Seventh Edition (V7)----|----------------------*
              \           |                      |
               \        1BSD                     |
               32V        |                      |
                 \      2BSD---------------*     |
                  \    /                   |     |
                   \  /                    |     |
                    \/                     |     |
                   3BSD                    |     |
                    |                      |     |
                 4.0BSD                2.79BSD   |
                    |                      |     |
                 4.1BSD --------------> 2.8BSD <-*
                    |                      |
                4.1aBSD -----------\       |
                    |                \     |
                4.1bBSD                \   |
                    |                    \ |
        *------ 4.1cBSD --------------> 2.9BSD
       /            |                      |
  Eighth Edition    |                   2.9BSD-Seismo
       |            |                      |
       +----<--- 4.2BSD               2.9.1BSD

and says

  Multics                 1965
  UNIX                    Summer 1969
                                  DEC PDP-7
  First   Edition         1971-11-03 [QCU]
                                  DEC PDP-11/20, Assembler
  Second  Edition         1972-06-12 [QCU]
                                  10 UNIX installations
  Third   Edition         1973-02-xx [QCU]
                                  Pipes, 16 installations
  Fourth  Edition         1973-11-xx [QCU]
                                  rewriting in C effected,
                                  above 30 installations
  Fifth   Edition         1974-06-xx [QCU]
                                  above 50 installations
  Sixth   Edition         1975-05-xx [QCU]
                                  port to DEC Vax
  Seventh Edition         1979-01-xx [QCU] 1979-01-10 [TUHS]
                                  first portable UNIX
  ..

with a nice Bibliography with falsely underscored headline plus

It also covers the system most of you are using (later).

--steffen

@ 2024-06-09  8:00                 ` Ed Bradford
From: Ed Bradford @ 2024-06-09  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Corderoy, TUHS Main List