The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 20:12 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-03-24 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Johnson:

  This reminds me that someone at BTL threw together a "TSO Shell".  It was
  a wrapper around /bin/sh that slept for 10 seconds before executing each
  line...

=====

And after each command exited.  Discarding anything typed ahead
during the sleep, of course.

And printed all-upper-case IEFCRAPNONSENSE messages even when a
command exited successfully.

I think I still have a copy somewhere.  It dates from the 6/e era,
so it would need a lot of work to compile and run on a modern system.
Occasionally I think of converting it to ISO and POSIX even though
that seems contradictory somehow.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 13:36 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-03-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Btw. It does not emulate the smell of small machine oil
or the mess of ppt punch chaff on the floor

Yes. I saw Clem's mail just as I was about to recommend
placing a small dish of machine oil beside the simulator.
Alas, it seems I missed out on the chad experience. Data was
regularly imported to the PDP-7 by ppt, but rarely exported.
Night-owl Ken must have taken some ppt backups, evidence of
which the midnight janitors whisked away.

Doug

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 13:19 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-24 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Warren Toomey

    > I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
    > real tty

Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's were
10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

	Noel

* [TUHS] PDP-7 Unix: The B compiler works
@ 2016-03-23 19:28 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-03-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

We've got the B compiler working. Robert Swierczek gets all the credit.
Cheers, Warren

@ ls -l .
00004 drwr- 04 777 00050 dd
00003 drwr- 03 777 00340 system