The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 20:41 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-07-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Pechter:

  Only thing I can think of is add another drive or partition and mount it
  as /tmp.

=====

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
mount >> ln -s

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-28  1:03         ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2016-07-28  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clem cole wrote:
> Yep.  We used it for both but discovered it tended to be better for our system as a /tmp because we tried really hard to keep the 11/70 from swapping in those days.
>
> Clem
>
> Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

That gave the AT&T folks (and Regional Bells) a major improvement over
the RS04 (and less of a maintenance problem) and the Computer Special
Systems folks at DEC had a way to use less than perfect MK11 memory
since the embedded internal ML11 disk controller mapped out bad blocks
in NVRAM  so it looked like a clean disk. I remember stories about a 3x
improvement in some of the 11/70's jobs,

I don't know what apps were on the box.  Might have been COSMOS or
something else.

When I saw the Windows Ready Boost and Intel Turbo memory I really
flashed (ugh pun not intended) to the day I installed the early
ML11... Nothing new in the OS business that wasn't done in the old
days.  Unfortunately, there's very little love for history in the industry.
My college major was history... so I love the connected nature of the
designs.  It's all an evolution.

Bill

@ 2016-07-28  1:03       ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-07-28  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill - below

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

> On Jul 27, 2016, at 5:10 PM, William Pechter <pechter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Neat idea and I wish someone would come up with a really large SSD with a writelock for archival storage
> of my stuff.  No head crashes and if I could disable the possibility of accidental writing...

I had to laugh.   A few months back I was working with a very bright 20 something engineers (from one of my alma mater's ) who is working on our new Xpoint memory technology.   I had to explain to him some of these new behaviors / inventions were how things like core memory worked as well as showing him some info on the ML11 with exactly these type of features.   He had no idea.

While I'm not part of the the Xpoint team I have no idea what will end up as exposed features in final product  or how people configure them but it's interesting to watch some ideas that stopping being fashionable or maybe economical be (re)discovered.

What is new is old and old is now new😎

Clem

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-28  0:49       ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-07-28  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-07-28  0:47 ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-07-28  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Certainly 4.2 was were most people found them and the UNIX community at large saw them and I do not wAnt to disparage my siblings at Berkeley for the fine work done there.

 But particularly since Dennis has passed I hate seeing history get forgotten/rewritten.  I can tell you I personally I remember talking to Dennis and Steve Bourne about the idea of late binding for nami pre-BSD 3x UNIX days  - late 1979 is my guess might have been a little later.  Dennis would have been messing with them in a post V7 systems.  I would have been at Tek @ the time.  Joy probable would have seen them as a summer intern at the labs and talked to him about it then.

You are right the BSD 4.2 made the world know about them but like a number of things in BSD (such as networking) it was in some cases a (better) integration of ideas others had played with before.

@ 2016-07-27 21:18 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-07-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clem Cole:

  Also to be fair, Dennis did symlinks before 4.2.   They were part of the V8
  I believe.

=======

I'm pretty sure they came from Berkeley nevertheless.  I don't know
the exact order of events, but the 8th Edition kernel was essentially
that from one of the later 4.1x BSDs, hacked in 1127 to remove sockets
and FFS (were they even there yet), then to add Dennis's stream I/O
system, Tom Killian's original /proc, and Peter Weinberger's neta
network-file-system client.  Perhaps a few other hooks as well.
Symlinks were already there, and although we made some limited careful
use of them, made nobody very happy because they made such a big
irregular lump in so many things: file system no longer a tree,
difference between stat and lstat, and so on.

One thing 8/e did differently from Berkeley was that ls by default
hid symlinks rather than trotting them out proudly.  If f was a
symlink, ls -l f showed the state of the target file, not that of
the link; one had to do ls -lL f to see the symlink itself.
That reflected a general feeling that symlinks should be neither
seen nor heard unless necessary.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 21:10     ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2016-07-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-07-27 21:01     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-07-27 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

BTW: Mark if you are running on a simulator, just create an extra drive in
the RK05 driver, put 4280 blocks on it and mount it on /tmp in /etc/rc when
you go multi-user.     You should be all set, and you will be running like
many/most V6 and V7 systems in years gone by.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 20:57   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-07-27 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)