The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 21:18 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-07-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clem Cole:

  Also to be fair, Dennis did symlinks before 4.2.   They were part of the V8
  I believe.

=======

I'm pretty sure they came from Berkeley nevertheless.  I don't know
the exact order of events, but the 8th Edition kernel was essentially
that from one of the later 4.1x BSDs, hacked in 1127 to remove sockets
and FFS (were they even there yet), then to add Dennis's stream I/O
system, Tom Killian's original /proc, and Peter Weinberger's neta
network-file-system client.  Perhaps a few other hooks as well.
Symlinks were already there, and although we made some limited careful
use of them, made nobody very happy because they made such a big
irregular lump in so many things: file system no longer a tree,
difference between stat and lstat, and so on.

One thing 8/e did differently from Berkeley was that ls by default
hid symlinks rather than trotting them out proudly.  If f was a
symlink, ls -l f showed the state of the target file, not that of
the link; one had to do ls -lL f to see the symlink itself.
That reflected a general feeling that symlinks should be neither
seen nor heard unless necessary.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 20:41 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-07-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Pechter:

  Only thing I can think of is add another drive or partition and mount it
  as /tmp.

=====

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
mount >> ln -s

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 20:28 Mark Longridge
From: Mark Longridge @ 2016-07-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

My root partition for Unix v6 is almost full and /dev/rk0 only has 83 blocks.

The trouble is I wanted to compile bc.y and I think it needs around
300 blocks of temporary space. I was wondering if there was a way to
set up Unix v6 so that it could use one of the other drives for tmp
space. I tried to set up a link using ln but it seems I can't link
across filesystems.

The exact error is "26: Intermediate file error".

I managed to rearrange things so that /dev/rk0 had over 300 blocks of
free space and it fixed the problem, but I'm curious if there was
another solution.

Mark