The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: random832@fastmail.com (Random832)
Subject: [TUHS] Does this mean Linux is now "officially branded UNIX"?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 09:42:45 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 07:11, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> The background is just that around 1995, The OpenGroup added the waitid()
> interface that has been introduced in 1989 by SVr4. At that time, the
> OpenGroup
> standard text was correct and interested companies could have implemented
> the
> interface correctly.

What was the rationale for including the requirement we are discussing?
Even granting that it *did* (there doesn't seem to be any version of the
standard online early enough not to have the supposed mistake in the
text, present in SUSv2 and Issue 6, of allowing waitid to give an 8-bit
value, so we have only your word) Is it really desirable that the
standard *should* include novel SVR4 features not present in earlier
versions of Unix that do not add any particular value?