The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] What did cc -2 do?
@ 2017-06-27 13:54 Richard Tobin
From: Richard Tobin @ 2017-06-27 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Browsing the source for "cc" in v6 and v7, if invoked with -2 would
> replace crt0.o with crt2.o. If the -2 were followed by another character
> (probably intended to be -20), it would use crt20.o and use -l2 instead
> of -lc.
>
> These options seem to be undocumented, and I can't find any source code
> of these libraries or indication as to what the purpose was.

The "scc" man page for System V may be enlightening, as it mentions
similarly-named files:

  NAME
    scc - C compiler for stand-alone programs

  SYNOPSIS
    scc [ +[ lib ] ] [ option ] ... [ file ] ...

  DESCRIPTION
    Scc prepares the named files for stand-alone execution.
    [...]

  FILES
    /lib/crt2.o       execution start-off
    /usr/lib/lib2.a   stand-alone library
    /usr/lib/lib2A.a  +A configuration library
    /usr/lib/lib2B.a  +B configuration library

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

* [TUHS] What did cc -2 do?
@ 2017-06-25  0:50 Random832