The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Anyone know what a LANTERN is
@ 2017-07-30 22:33 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-07-30 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doug McIlroy:

  Do any of these possibilities ring a bell?

====

More to the point, do any shed light on the matter?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Anyone know what a LANTERN is
@ 2017-07-31 23:46     ` Kevin Schoedel
From: Kevin Schoedel @ 2017-07-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:50 ?pm -0400 2017/07/31, Paul Winalski wrote:
>The character we're discussing here was named LANTERN, not LAMP, but
>you may have something there regarding it turning on a light.  We'd
>need to find an AT&T 4410 terminal, or someone who's used one, to be
>sure.

A bit of Googling suggests that the Herbert H. Warrick Jr. Museum of
Communications in Seattle has at least one of these recently in operating
condition. <http://www.museumofcommunications.org/unix/>

--
Kevin Schoedel <schoedel at kw.igs.net> VA3TCS

* [TUHS] Anyone know what a LANTERN is
@ 2017-07-31 21:25         ` Earl Baugh
From: Earl Baugh @ 2017-07-31 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll take any sound vs. the "visual bell" flash that I had on the first
terminal I used to learn VI on.
Had I had epilepsy like my sister, I'd have never survived :-)

Earl

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:52 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ah, on the vt52, that "bell" was called the "feep". It sure was not a
>> bell.,
>>
>> The vt52 was a real money saving device. From what we could tell, the
>> printed circuit board on it was cardboard.
>>

> On the VT52 terminals I used, the bell seemed to come in two flavors. One
> was a very iconic "gear grinding" sound where there was a small motor that
> spun a toothed wheel that ran over a slender finger of plastic. A few,
> maybe retrofitted, had what sounded like a random 555 noise that was gated
> on/off.
>
> Warner
>

>> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:51 AM Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> perhaps
>>>
>>> BEL *did* ring a bell on the model 33 Teletype.  On the DEC VT52, it
>>> sounded a buzzer that was sort of like an electronic raspberry.  On
>>> the VT100, LA36, and other later terminals, it was the familiar feep
>>> sound.
>>>
>>> The character we're discussing here was named LANTERN, not LAMP, but
>>> you may have something there regarding it turning on a light.  We'd
>>> need to find an AT&T 4410 terminal, or someone who's used one, to be
>>> sure.
>>>
>>> -Paul W.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Anyone know what a LANTERN is
@ 2017-07-31 20:04       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-07-31 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-07-31 20:01       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-07-31 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-07-31 17:52     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-07-31 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-07-31 16:50   ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2017-07-31 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-07-30 17:43 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-07-30 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Jul 30, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> I have no actual information about the lantern character, but
> a tapered "storm lantern" would be far down my list of guesses.
> The tapered chmney would much more likely be called a "lamp",
> for it's a standard shape for the oil (kerosene) lamps
> that everyone had before electricity.

It's a long shot, but might it be related to APL's 'lamp' operator?  (U+235D)

* [TUHS] Anyone know what a LANTERN is
@ 2017-07-30 11:17 ` Alec Muffett
From: Alec Muffett @ 2017-07-30 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-07-30 11:14 Doug McIlroy