The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] MASSCOMP MC-500 Guide to Writing a Unix Device Driver
@ 2019-04-29 14:38 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-04-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dennis's `The UNIX I/O System' paper in Volume 2 of the 7/e
manual is basically about how drivers work.  Is that near
enough, possibly as augmented by Ken's `UNIX Implementation'
paper in the same book?

Those were my own starting point, long ago, for understanding
how to write device drivers.  Along with existing source code
as examples, of course, but (unlikely many who hack on device
drivers, I'm afraid) I have always preferred to have a proper
statement of rules, conventions, and interfaces rather than
just reading code and guessing.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] MASSCOMP MC-500 Guide to Writing a Unix Device Driver
@ 2019-04-29 14:53 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-04-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 8:39 AM Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:

> Dennis's `The UNIX I/O System' paper in Volume 2 of the 7/e
> manual is basically about how drivers work.  Is that near
> enough, possibly as augmented by Ken's `UNIX Implementation'
> paper in the same book?

I'm not blessed with paper versions of these, but they are in usr/doc/iosys
and usr/doc/cacm/* respectively.

> Those were my own starting point, long ago, for understanding
> how to write device drivers.  Along with existing source code
> as examples, of course, but (unlikely many who hack on device
> drivers, I'm afraid) I have always preferred to have a proper
> statement of rules, conventions, and interfaces rather than
> just reading code and guessing.

Yes. This is exactly what I was looking for, and I'm surprised I hadn't
thought to look here sooner. Thanks!

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] MASSCOMP MC-500 Guide to Writing a Unix Device Driver
@ 2019-04-29 14:53   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-04-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I used to carry around some Masscomp doc, I believe it was about networking.
Masscomp had some great tech writers.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] MASSCOMP MC-500 Guide to Writing a Unix Device Driver
@ 2019-04-29 14:45 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-04-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

ᐧ