The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is
@ 2019-10-28 21:55 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-10-28 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Bother:

   Here's a good pictore of G R herself, with what I believe to be at
  least a second-generation badge.

Forgot to paste in the URL.  Here it is:

http://www.peteradamsphoto.com/g-r-emlin/

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is
@ 2019-10-28 21:54 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-10-28 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Mary Ann Horton:

  I'm enjoying bwk's book very much, but it has me wondering. There are
  two stories I've heard that supposedly occurred at Murray Hill, but he
  didn't include them.

====

You can't expect every story to be there.  The book would be too
heavy to lift!

Could the `monkey picture on a badge' story be that of G. R. Emlin's
badge?  She was a gremlin doll, not a monkey, but it would be
reasonable to mistake the former for the latter.

Here's a good pictore of G R herself, with what I believe to be at
least a second-generation badge.  The original badge was an old-style
Bell Labs one with a green border; I forget whether that meant
contractor or something else, but a regular MTS badge was blue-bordered
at the time.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON