I think it makes sense to place standalone documents like the Caldera license in a central location.  However I don't see a lot of value in placing copies of non-standalone license/copyright notices in a place other than their original locations, because all these texts have context ("/This /software is copyright ...."), which I think is important both historically and practically. Perhaps it would be better to create an index of license/copyright notices that appear in the source tree, including pointers to their containing files. Extra points for an historical analysis of the evolution/commonality of license texts as they appear over time and across Unix versions. --Jay On 7/2/2022 11:15 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > As part of some of simh work, I've been immersed in some licensing > discussions.  Thanks for the V8-10, Plan-9 and Inferno notes - they > are relevant. > > Anyway, WRT to TUHS, I'm thinking that at least in the case of the > Unix style bits, I propose a small change to Waren's top-level > directory.   Add a new dir called something like 'Legal Docs' or > 'Copyrights+Licenses'.   Then move the Caldera document and Warren's > current note into that area.  Then add copies of anything we can > collect like the Dan Cross's V8-10, anything WRT to Plan9/Inferno or > anything we from the UNIX world - such as something Sun, DEC or HP or > like might have added.  Maybe add a subdirectory with the AT&T/USL > case details.   And maybe add a sub-directory with known FOSS licenses > used by the UNIX community and add a copy of the 3-clause BSD and > maybe even the two GPLs. > > Then update the README in the current top-level dir.   Adding to the > contents something like "/the IP contained on this website is covered > by different licenses depending on the specific IP.  Copies of these > can be found with the source code itself, but have also been all > collected together in the top-level directory: .../." > > I think these all have both historical values, as well as practical > values. As I said, I was not sure myself and I think other would be > less ignorant if they could find it all easily.   In the case of the > practical, a for instance, in an email with some lawyers last week, I > had pointed them at the Caldera document.  I'ld have loved to have > been able to say look in this directory.  The Caldera and later > Nokia Licenses are what we are considering as examples. > > Thoughts?