The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History
@ 2002-04-03  9:14 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2002-04-03  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul,

> Bleh, sorry for the blank post... notes went schitzo....
*smile*

> If MS can release WinCE source, then they would probably do
> the same for XENIX.... both PDP/11 and the x86 version perhaps...
> Its not like we want the source... just a tape image would do me :)
> Perhaps there is someone in MS who knows of XENIX's existance and
> can help....  I'll have a word with a friend of mine who works
> there :)
Yeah, I agree.  I personally think MS would release Xenix, as it no
longer has any commercial value whatsoever to them.  The hardest part
might be finding people within who know about it, and who can point
us in the right (legalese) direction.  Once MS signs off on it, the
people at SC(O)aldera won't have a problem with releasing the tapes.

Cheers,
	Fred

            InterNetworking en Network Security Consultant
   MicroWalt Corporation (Netherlands), Korte Heul 95, 1403 ND BUSSUM
  Phone +31 (35) 6980059 FAX +31 (35) 6980215  http://WWW.MicroWalt.NL/

Dit  bericht  en  eventuele bijlagen is  uitsluitend  bestemd  voor  de
geadresseerde.  Openbaarmaking,   vermenigvuldiging,  verspreiding  aan
derden  is  niet  toegestaan.   Er   wordt   geen  verantwoordelijkheid
genomen  voor de juiste en  volledige  overbrenging van  de inhoud  van
dit bericht, noch voor de tijdige ontvangst ervan.

* [pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History
@ 2002-04-03  9:52 asmodai
From: asmodai @ 2002-04-03  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bleh, sorry for the blank post... notes went schitzo....

If MS can release WinCE source, then they would probably do the same for
XENIX.... both PDP/11 and the x86 version perhaps...
Its not like we want the source... just a tape image would do me :)
Perhaps there is someone in MS who knows of XENIX's existance and can
help....  I'll have a word with a friend of mine who works there :)
Regards,
Paul.

Frank Wortner <frank at wortner.com>
Sent by: pups-admin at minnie.tuhs.org
04/03/2002 04:31

        To:     <asmodai at unixware.org.uk>, <pups at minnie.tuhs.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History

on 4/2/02 5:38 PM, asmodai at unixware.org.uk at asmodai at unixware.org.uk
wrote:

I wrote to SCO/Caldera a while back about this one...   Here's a quote
from the mail I got in reply:

"XENIX will never be released under any license, as it is too full of
Microsoft copyrights...?

Well,  there?s always the possibility that Microsoft could see fit to make
a ?hobby? PDP/11 XENIX license available.  Why not?
--
Frank

"Don't Blame Me."
* Eeyore,  "Winnie the Pooh"

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History
@ 2002-04-03  9:49 asmodai
From: asmodai @ 2002-04-03  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Wortner <frank at wortner.com>
Sent by: pups-admin at minnie.tuhs.org
04/03/2002 04:31

        To:     <asmodai at unixware.org.uk>, <pups at minnie.tuhs.org>
        cc:

on 4/2/02 5:38 PM, asmodai at unixware.org.uk at asmodai at unixware.org.uk

@ 2002-04-02 22:38 asmodai
From: asmodai @ 2002-04-02 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote to SCO/Caldera a while back about this one...   Here's a quote
from the mail I got in reply:

"XENIX will never be released under any license, as it is too full of
Microsoft copyrights, and "sanitizing" the source to remove such code
would render the product useless, and would be a MASSIVE undertaking."

Looks like we wont get Xenix in source format unless Microsoft want us to
have it.

Regards,
Paul.
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that
cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go
wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or
repair" - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Robert Tillyard <rob at vetsystems.com>
Sent by: pups-admin at minnie.tuhs.org
03/25/2002 10:38

        To:     pups at minnie.tuhs.org
        cc:

Frank Wortner wrote:

> on 3/23/02 11:26 PM, Warren Toomey at wkt at minnie.tuhs.org wrote:
>
> > In article by Martin Crehan:
> >>  From a thread on Slashdot about Microsoft's Ancient History w/Unix
> >> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/23/1422243.shtml?tid=130
> >>
> >>   First Unix/Xenix (Score:1)
> >> by presearch on Saturday March 23, @01:58PM (#3213453)
> >> (User #214913 Info)
> >
> > I've left a comment in the thread asking if they would
> > donate a copy of the tape's contents to our Archive.
>
> I also remember running PDP/11 Xenix.  The article is basically correct,
> although Microsoft (or HCR) did add a working paging system that enabled
> simulation of split I&D on small PDP/11s like the 11/23, 11/34, and
11/40.
> I also remember that my copy of the installation document had been
printed
> by Microsoft's PDP/10 (referred to as the "Microsoft Heating Plant" :-)
in
> the printout).   I wish I still had the tape and that printout.  Sigh
>
> --
> Frank

Would SCO->Caldera have copies of this? SCO did the Intel port of Xenix
so they would probably have started with the PDP source. Would tapes be
copyright to Microsoft?

I doubt that they would release the source for the Intel version as it
is still in use today although I don't think that SCO/Caldera will sell
it anymore.

Rob.

@ 2002-03-25  2:39 Frank Wortner
From: Frank Wortner @ 2002-03-25  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 3/23/02 11:26 PM, Warren Toomey at wkt at minnie.tuhs.org wrote:

> In article by Martin Crehan:
>>  From a thread on Slashdot about Microsoft's Ancient History w/Unix
>> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/23/1422243.shtml?tid=130
>>
>>   First Unix/Xenix (Score:1)
>> by presearch on Saturday March 23, @01:58PM (#3213453)
>> (User #214913 Info)
>
> I've left a comment in the thread asking if they would
> donate a copy of the tape's contents to our Archive.

I also remember running PDP/11 Xenix.  The article is basically correct,
although Microsoft (or HCR) did add a working paging system that enabled
simulation of split I&D on small PDP/11s like the 11/23, 11/34, and 11/40.
I also remember that my copy of the installation document had been printed
by Microsoft's PDP/10 (referred to as the "Microsoft Heating Plant" :-) in
the printout).   I wish I still had the tape and that printout.  Sigh ...

--
Frank

"I don't hold with all this washing.  This modern Behind-the-ears nonsense."
* Eeyore, "Winnie the Pooh"

* [pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History
@ 2002-03-23 19:43 Martin Crehan
From: Martin Crehan @ 2002-03-23 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

 From a thread on Slashdot about Microsoft's Ancient History w/Unix
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/23/1422243.shtml?tid=130

  First Unix/Xenix (Score:1)
by presearch on Saturday March 23, @01:58PM (#3213453)
(User #214913 Info)

In 1979 all that existed of Xenix was a silver brochure from Microsoft
but there was no distribution. I wanted it to run it/sell it, seeing that
you could do the timesharing thing just like back at college, except
without a giant machine behind glass. I contacted the then tiny
Microsoft, asked, begged, pleaded but they had nothing to sell.

After multiple inquiries, they finally told me that they didn't have
Xenix yet, but they expected it to arrive shortly. Arrive? From where?
I was told, from Human Computing Resources (HCR) in Toronto.
Ahh, interesting. So I called HCR somehow got them to commit
to an early delivery. After a few weeks, and several dollars, the
day came. MS wanted a PDP-11 and 68000 version and was
only after the PDP-11 distro, I was 1 week ahead in the queue
from Microsoft. So, as I was told from HCR, I had the first Xenix
distribution in the US, ahead of Microsoft. I ran it on a LSI-11/23
with insanely expensive 256Kb of memory and a giant 20Mb
drive from Charles River Data Systems. It also had 2 eight inch
floppies (errrtt, clunk, clunk, errrrttt), and 2 four port serial cards
that each ran a VT100. The distro came on a 9-track tape (which
I still have) and the take drive was this weird, front loading thing
where you loaded the tape in the front like a big floppy and it
auto threaded the tape (sometimes). As I remember, it seemed
pretty fast, I'd start up stuff on all of the terminals, just to do it.
Of course, it wasn't that fast but at the time....

The Unix itself was a more or less pure Unix v7. The only thing,
as I remember that made is Xenix, was the boot message and
the captions on the man pages. There was no vi at that time,
the editor of choice was "ed". It did have a nice /usr/games
and I got a Zork for it from a friend.

We ended up selling a few of the boxes. The company was
called MSD. The only record of such is in a 1981 (Jan?) issue
of Byte with our little ad in the back. And that's the story of the
first commercial Unix sold in the US.