The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Undefined Inconsistency
@ 1995-12-07  3:47 Steven M. Schultz
From: Steven M. Schultz @ 1995-12-07  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy -

> From: "Danny R. Brown" <sysyphus at crl.com>
>
>   When I do a "reboot" the system declares that /dev/ra0f has an
> undefined inconsistency (during fsck). It tells me to run fsck
> manually, then aborts before starting the daemons.

	What aborts?  If by 'abort' you mean that the process of the system
	coming up ceases and you get dropped into a single user shell then
	that's exactly what should happen.

> I have dchecked, ichecked and fscked /dev/ra0f, and it seems to
> be a happy partition.

	Ok - at that point if a manual "fsck /dev/rra0f" (and you should be
	using the raw (rra) form of the device) works, then all you need to
	do is hit a ^D and the system will finish coming up to a multi user
	state.

	Hmmm - I think we'll need some more information before hazarding a
	guess as to what's not working right.  The contents of /etc/fstab
	and the current disklabel would be good starting points.

> ra0f starts on an even cylinder boundary. It has one file which
> occupies some 54% of the space on it.
> reboot -f brings everything up normally.

	Well, yes, it will - by bypassing all filesystem checks.  Usually
	that'll work ok - but it's not something to do after a crash or
	a power failure.

> this boo-boo. Looking through the man pages did not point me in
> any yet untried direction. I did encounter a 'bad block' on /dev/ra0d,

	Hmmm - a bad block?  Shouldn't be related to anything in ra0f unless
	you've accidentally created overlapping partitions.  If that were
	the case though I'd expect massive and widespread corruption.

	What was the error when the bad block was encountered?  If this is
	an MSCP disk you'll need to find the MicroPDP-11 Formatter and
	see if it will revector the bad sector for you (BSD MSCP drivers
	can not do this - probably just as well because I've heard it's
	fiendishly difficult and if you get it wrong you've hosed your
	drive).

	Steven Schultz
	sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com

From: wkt@dolphin.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: Fsck tips
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 15:07:59 +1100 (EST)

In atricle by Steven M. Schultz:
> > I have dchecked, ichecked and fscked /dev/ra0f, and it seems to
> > be a happy partition.
>
> 	Ok - at that point if a manual "fsck /dev/rra0f" (and you should be
> 	using the raw (rra) form of the device) works, then all you need to
> 	do is hit a ^D and the system will finish coming up to a multi user
> 	state.

Apropos fsck'ing, always work on a raw device. Only fsck on an unmounted
partition, or a quiescent one (no disk activity, this means single-user mode
and sync BEFORE doing the fsck). If fsck finds an error, DONT sync the system
before shutting down; sync will flush out anything still in the cache, possibly
overwriting the changes fsck made to the disk.

Someone had to point this out to me a few years ago, I kept doing
sync sync sync reboot after fsck reported errors. Deary me!

Cheers all,
	Warren

From: wkt@dolphin.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: Fsck for v7
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 16:00:43 +1100 (EST)

Hmm, while we're on the topic of fsck, the RL02 image of 7th Edition that was
given to me by Torsten Hippe had an fsck for v7 filesystems, but no source code.
Torsten did say that Johnny Billquist had the original tape, but Johnny says
he's not in a position to read the tape.

Anyway, does anybody have the source code to this or another v7 fsck? Any clues
as to who wrote it etc.?

Thanks,
	Warren

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: Re: fsck tips
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:40:17 +0000 (GMT)

As Warren says, you don't want to sync after an fsck run has made
changes to the disk. Simply turn off and reboot. One gotcha Warren
omitted was the process /etc/update, which is usually started at
boot-time from /etc/rc. This process does a sync every 30 secs
automatically.  Before fscking a live filesystem, kill update first!
If fsck finds anything wrong, shutdown immediately without a sync.

Of course, fscking unmounted filesystems is far safer, but not always
possible for the root partition ...

Cheers,

Bob.

Robert Manners                                  Osney Laboratory
rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                          Dept of Engineering Science
                                                University of Oxford
                                                01865 288762
Try: http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                  Linux - the only choice

    This message brought to you from an entirely Microsoft free system.

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: version 7
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 11:26:10 +0000 (GMT)

I just thought I'd share a few more of my experiences with you in the
hope that they may help someone out....

Over the weekend, I finally succeeded in ftping Tapes/Torsten/v7.gz -
version 7 as an RL02 image. (International ftp to the UK is terrible
at present!).

I have no RL02, so I booted the image on Bob Supnic's pdp11 emulator,
built a kernel to support both RL and RK05 drives and set about
transferring the vital parts of the system to an RK05 image, with the
kernel source, games and other non-essentials going to a second
image. The two RK05 images are pretty full!

I built kernels for the 11/40 (m40.o) and 11/34 (smch.o), to support
just the RK05, and added a second DL-11 as previously discussed on
this list.

Kermiting the root image to an RK05 on my 11/34 was no trouble. My
11/34 will booth the m40.o image just fine, but the smch.o image
caused much disk activity, but no console output. Version 7 thus can
be persuaded to work on an 11/34a, with a single RK05. The second DL11
is recognised and works as expected. Version 7 seems significantly
slower than version 6, when multi-user mode is entered.

Thus, I think I'd recommend version 6 for a small system ...

Cheers,

Bob.

Robert Manners                                  Osney Laboratory
rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                          Dept of Engineering Science
                                                University of Oxford
                                                01865 288762
Try: http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk                  Linux - the only choice

    This message brought to you from an entirely Microsoft free system.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-12-07  3:47 UTC | newest]