The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Does anybody have an assembler in C?
@ 1998-03-11  6:07 Greg Lehey
From: Greg Lehey @ 1998-03-11  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to set up a cross-development environment for 2.11BSD
(running under 4.4BSD), and I've run into trouble because the
assembler's written in, well, assembler.  It would be Real Convenient
if I could find an assembler written in C.  Does anybody know of one?

Greg

From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: Does anybody have an assembler in C?
To: grog at lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:29:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

Tim Shoppa I believe is familiar with the "chip" or "sunchip" tar bundle
that contained a PDP-11 C compiler, assembler and loader. I could swear
the assember was in C - I am sure because I recall fighting with all the
code to port it a long time ago to another UNIX box. Now I was the jerk
that kept saying "gee that C compiler sure looks a lot like the V6/V7
C compiler" (yeah I know they are different - I never bothered to go into
the details of precisely which one it matched more closely).  If Tim
does not still have the contents I know I've got it archived away and
can fetch that part for you.  -- Ken

From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph02.triumf.ca>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:36:33 -0800 (PST)
Cc: shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

> Tim Shoppa I believe is familiar with the "chip" or "sunchip" tar bundle
> that contained a PDP-11 C compiler, assembler and loader.

Vaguely.  I'll try to track down the exact reference - I'm not
sure whether your referring to the DECUS C package or not.

> code to port it a long time ago to another UNIX box. Now I was the jerk
> that kept saying "gee that C compiler sure looks a lot like the V6/V7
> C compiler" (yeah I know they are different - I never bothered to go into
> the details of precisely which one it matched more closely).

I seem to recall that the DECUS C compiler is written in MACRO-11 assembly -
and pretty much a straight translation of the V6/V7 C compiler - but
with different run time libraries for RSX and RT-11.  Does
this ring a bell?  Or am I completely on the wrong track?

Tim.

From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph02.triumf.ca>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:21:00 -0800 (PST)
Cc: shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

> > Tim Shoppa I believe is familiar with the "chip" or "sunchip" tar bundle
> > that contained a PDP-11 C compiler, assembler and loader.
>
> Vaguely.  I'll try to track down the exact reference - I'm not
> sure whether your referring to the DECUS C package or not.

Taking a quick look at the DECUS C package, I see that isn't the answer.
There's an "as"-style assembler there written in MACRO-11, though :-).

I think you were referring to the XINU-11 package available by anonymous
ftp from sunsite:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/xinu

in particular, if you look in

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/xinu/
    unpacked/src/cmd/as11

you'll find the "as11" sources in C, specifically written for BSD4.3 on
a VAX.

I have to admit that I'm not fully aware of the copyrights regarding
the XINU package.  If research shows that this is freely distributable,
is this something we'd want to distribute through the PUPS archive,
Warren?

Tim. (shoppa at triumf.ca)

From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca (Tim Shoppa)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:22:47 -0500 (EST)
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

Tim,

No, the DECUS C compiler is a very different kettle of fish.  Sorry to
be so vague - I can only go by memory now as all my archived info is on
CD-ROM's at home.  Back in the mid to late 80's a few folks made available
a bundle put together by the folks at Purdue I think - I believe it was
related to Dr. Comer (sp?) and the Xinu stuff - but this bundle was
intended to provide a compiler environment on SunOS systems of the mid
80's to teach lower level system stuff - I've forgotten if it related
to simulating an 11 or was instead just for a cross-compiler environment
to build Xinu mini-kernels on faster platforms to then download to the LSI
11 testbed.  One place I picked it up (via FTP) called it "sunchip.tar.Z"
or similar, while another I think just called it "chip.tar.Z."

I mentioned you only because I do remember grabbing it from your sunsite
archive while you were still at Caltech and later sending e-mail WRT the
licensing thing.

-- Ken

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.CS.ADFA.OZ.AU>
To: shoppa at alph02.triumf.ca (Tim Shoppa)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:25:03 +1100 (EST)
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

In article by Tim Shoppa:
> I have to admit that I'm not fully aware of the copyrights regarding
> the XINU package.  If research shows that this is freely distributable,
> is this something we'd want to distribute through the PUPS archive,
> Warren?
>
> Tim. (shoppa at triumf.ca)

Xinu is freely distributable, as long as it's not sold as a competing
product to Doug Comer's book. It's in the archive.

Another solution for a assembler in C is some stuff I've got from a
Russian, who `ported' either cc or pcc to a Sparc, as a cross-compiler.
Greg, have a look in .miscfiles. If someone can make some order out of
this, I'll put it in the archive.

To the PUPS readers, there is a whole lot of stuff I've got but I haven't
added into the PUPS ARchive as yet:

	+ System V		(SCO license doesn't include it)
	+ copyright stuff	I haven't cleared it's release yet
	+ unsorted jumble	Someone has to categorise this

I could put the unsorted jumble into the PUPS Archive. Yes or no?

P.S Woke up to a barrage of email today. Wading thru it....

Warren

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-03-11  6:07 UTC | newest]